Select to view content in your preferred language

Having trouble doing certain things--are these features paid subscription only?

12-12-2023 01:47 PM
JayGoetz
New Contributor

I am using the free version of ArcGIS Online public account through the web browser. I cannot seem to add or edit legends on my maps. Is this something I should be able to do, or is this feature restricted to paid plans?

I have a data set that consists of a lot of GPS coordinates.  I am trying to group them together and edit the formatting for each group at once, like I know you can do in Google MyMaps with layers.  I then want to add a figure legend to show what each color/symbol group means.  This seems like a basic functionality, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to do it.  I seem unable to edit the figure legend.  I try to follow walk-throughs but the options are just not there for me.  Is this something you can do on a free account, or would you need to purchase a plan to do something like this?  Or am I just missing something?  Thanks in advance.

map.PNG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @JayGoetz

In Map Viewer the legend is automatically generated for you. Click the legend button on the dark toolbar on the left. The legend displays based on the way you have symbolized the layers in your map. 

EmilyGeo_0-1702581752425.png

Tags (1)
JayGoetz
New Contributor

Sorry for not being clearer--is there a way to edit the legend from the default generated?

Also, is there a way to have the legend displayed on the map itself, for example if you're trying to make a still image of the map for display?

0 Kudos
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @JayGoetz

Thanks for providing that extra context. Yes, you're right, in Map Viewer, the legend appears in a separate pane.

In order display the legend on a web map, here are some options:

1. Create an app using Instant Apps. Many templates have settings where you can choose whether to display the legend, and whether to have it appear on loading the app.
  2. Create an app using Experience Builder. Use a template like Launchpad, add your map and add the legend widget.

For static maps, using desktop software like ArcGIS Pro gives you loads of options for customizing your legend. Then you can export a layout to share with others. 

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to tag me in your reply. That way, I'll be sure to see your response right away and provide a faster response time.

Tags (1)