Having trouble adding users to an AGOL group.

01-02-2020 11:33 AM
LonOttosen
New Contributor II

I have an ArcGIS Pro license and continually get the following error when trying to add a user to an AGOL group    

-- ( Error during invite Unable to invite user to the group.The user does not have the privileges needed to join the group).

In the past I was able to add to a group without an invite but that option does not seem to be available. The users I am trying to add is not in my organization. thanks for any help

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JillianRizzo
Esri Contributor

Hello Lon Ottosen

Do you know what user type/role the user has? 

What are the current settings on your group? Specifically, the editing settings could be the issue here. For example, viewers and members outside your organization cannot be added to groups where "members can update all items (group membership is limited to the organization" is toggled on. 

Best

Jillian

LonOttosen
New Contributor II

I have attached a screen capture of the setting options I have. I remember seeing the "...update items..."

settings earlier but do not find them now.

thanks

0 Kudos
JillianRizzo
Esri Contributor

Hi Lon Ottosen

The 'update' setting is "what items in the group can its members update?" the options are 'only their items' or 'all items (group membership is limited to the organization).' If by chance you selected the second option, that option cannot be disabled once the group is created.

However, when you select this setting, the option to search for members outside of your organization is not available when inviting users to the group. You would not have been able to trigger that error with those settings turned on. 

According to this geonet post from earlier, a user was running into this same issue and it turns out the other user outside of the organization was using a custom role. I would suggest confirming with the user to see what their specific privileges are! 

- Jillian 

0 Kudos