Unable to invite user to the group. The user does not have the privileges needed to join the group.

Jump to solution
08-07-2017 01:19 PM
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

I am attempting to add a new user to a group in ArcGIS Online, however, I get the following error message:

The user is an AGOL field user and is a member of the organization that the group is in. 

I am not sure why this message occurs? Any hints/ides/solutions are welcome, thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

HI there,

They may have a custom role that stops the user from joining a group

Speak to your administrator and see what role they have and change if necessary.

(My Organation < Edit Settings < Roles) 

View solution in original post

14 Replies
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

HI there,

They may have a custom role that stops the user from joining a group

Speak to your administrator and see what role they have and change if necessary.

(My Organation < Edit Settings < Roles) 

HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you, this ended up being the case.

deleted-user-7SLqM7dlvYNN
New Contributor III

Hi John,

I'm getting a very similar error when trying to add a user, with a custom role to a Group but have the 'Join organizational groups' option enabled in the custom role. I can add other non-custom users fine. Error is:

Error message when adding user with custom role

Number of groups is definitely not an issue, we have 23 in total. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi Mark

Thanks for the time on the phone

It looks like if your group has this setting

And the user is does not have Editing privileges. (Viewer or Level 1 Role) - then they cant join this group and you get that message

Kelly Gerrow‌ - is this a known limitation for this type of user and  group setting?

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi John,

Can you please get a bug logged with support? That error message is incorrect and confusing as this doesn't seem related to the number of groups at all.

Although this doesn't appear to be a documented limitation I am curious as to why a level 1 user needs to be in a group with the purpose of updating content when they have no privileges to do this? Is this a desired workflow or something where the error messaging/documentation should be improved? 

Can you get in touch with Esri Support and get this logged? Katie Cullen

Thanks,

Kelly

LorneDmitruk2
New Contributor III

I'm running into a similar problem where I want the view user to have access to the content without having to expose what's in the group to rest of the organization. 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-7SLqM7dlvYNN
New Contributor III

Hi Lorne,

I think the intended workflow would be to setup two groups - one for those who need to only view the content and one for those who need to edit. A bit of a pain for Adminstrators but that seems to be how it's designed. Kelly Gerrow can you confirm?

Regards,

Mark

LorneDmitruk2
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

That's what we ended up doing, creating groups based on whether a user needs edit or view access to the group.

Cheers

BrianHall1
New Contributor III

Thanks John - you saved me alot of hair pulling! 

Perfect solution.

0 Kudos