Groups question

Jump to solution
11-08-2019 06:34 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have created a group and set it to private. If I share the group with someone via an invitation link, will they at least see a button to request membership? The information contained is not public information and I want to block people from seeing the content until they are approved for membership. I know you can invite members as a group owner, but when I do that often people have trouble finding the invitation in their email (often the problem is that the email is set to some default that the GIS employee has in there when the account is first created and then the person who's account it is never changes it).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MKF62
by

Just tested this with someone and it is as I suspected, all they get is a message about not having permission and there's no way to request to join. That's really dumb, why should my content have to be public in order to allow requests for membership when a SPECIFIC LINK is given to a person. Think about facebook groups, subreddits, other public forums that can hide information and you can request to join. Why would ESRI not implement this feature? The whole point of a private group is for the content to be private, not the group itself. There is no reason for a group name to be hidden from search as long as the content is private.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

When you add members to your group select the Add members of the …  button

0 Kudos
MKF62
by

I cannot do that. The members I am adding are outside of my organization. That checkbox grays out when you add members outside your org.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

We had to give access to our online maps to outside contractor's but we had to set up a AGO Online and give them access to that so they are not coming through the firewall.

Why don't you just try sending the invitation to someone you can talk to at the time and see how it looks on their end.

They should receive a link to the invitation

0 Kudos
MKF62
by

Just tested this with someone and it is as I suspected, all they get is a message about not having permission and there's no way to request to join. That's really dumb, why should my content have to be public in order to allow requests for membership when a SPECIFIC LINK is given to a person. Think about facebook groups, subreddits, other public forums that can hide information and you can request to join. Why would ESRI not implement this feature? The whole point of a private group is for the content to be private, not the group itself. There is no reason for a group name to be hidden from search as long as the content is private.

0 Kudos