Group members cannot change basemap in ArcGIS Online

12-12-2020 04:45 AM
DCMcLain
New Contributor III

Members in my project group cannot change the basemap in the web map.  Nothing happens when they click on the basemap gallery button.  In addition to that, when the field workers tap on the basemap gallery button in Collector the app crashes.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DCMcLain - what version / OS of Collector is being used? Does the same issue occur for you or only the mobile workers? 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
DCMcLain
New Contributor III

Hey Peter - I can access the basemap gallery and others within my organization can as well.

I am checking with the external users to verify their Collector version.

The main concern is that in the web map on desktop they don't have access to the basemap gallery.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DCMcLain
New Contributor III

External users are using Collector version 20.2.2 and 20.2.4.  I'm running 20.2.2 on my device.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses on this - are the members in the project group from outside your organization? Does your organization have a custom basemap group set up or the Esri default? 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
DCMcLain
New Contributor III

Right - the group members are outside of our organization.

We use the ESRI defaults.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

Would you be able to add the ArcGIS Online username PeterK_ess to the group?

When a user opens a map shared from outside their organization, the user's organization's basemap gallery settings are still accessed. I was unable to find the setting that reproduced this issue, but it seems like the users' organization's basemap gallery settings might be coming into play. For example, if they have references to web maps with old HTTP service references, their basemap gallery may not load (Reference: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000013718)

So - if I am in the group I expect switching the basemap would work okay for me, but it would at least narrow it down to the basemap group settings for the users outside your org. 

I hope this helps,

-Peter

0 Kudos
DCMcLain
New Contributor III

Absolutely.  You've been added.

Thank you.  This is good information.  I wish I could've found this article before I reached out.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Daniel, thanks for adding me. I opened the web map intended for use in Collector and can see the basemap switcher/toggle the basemap as expected; I think this confirms that we need to dig into the group members' organization. If you are able to email pklingman@esri.com and cc a contact at that organization I can work on getting them in touch with Esri Support to troubleshoot/resolve the issue. 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos