Group Layers in AGOL Web Maps?

Jump to solution
12-06-2018 11:57 AM
deleted-user-zDDgnx-PlxMH
New Contributor III

We are in the development of a campus map for the University of South Florida, but we are having issues working with layers in web maps. I know people have been crying for this problem to be fixed for years, but we need to be able to group layers in Web Maps. This is one of the last things that we need to be able to roll out a functioning product for the university. We do not have ArcGIS for Server or Enterprise set up, so that removes those options. I, personally, don't have the coding background either to build it from scratch, so that's why I am hoping there is a timeline to my question. 

1. Where is ESRI at with making this function a reality?

2. If not any time soon, what is my next option to create a workaround? I have dabbled in the Web AppBuilder Developer Edition, but other than building something out of the box I am stuck. 

Please help!

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Dan,

There is a technical limitation with the current map viewer that does not allow us to implement group layers currently with the 3X Javascript API. The 4X Javascript API does have the functionality to display grouped layers. We are currently working on migrating Map Viewer to the 4X Javascript API which will bring along this functionality to ArcGIS Online tentatively planned for 2019.

Currently, you can look to develop a custom application with the 4X Javascript API to access this functionality or continue to use dynamic map services hosted on a local ArcGIS Server.

Thanks,

Kelly

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Dan,

There is a technical limitation with the current map viewer that does not allow us to implement group layers currently with the 3X Javascript API. The 4X Javascript API does have the functionality to display grouped layers. We are currently working on migrating Map Viewer to the 4X Javascript API which will bring along this functionality to ArcGIS Online tentatively planned for 2019.

Currently, you can look to develop a custom application with the 4X Javascript API to access this functionality or continue to use dynamic map services hosted on a local ArcGIS Server.

Thanks,

Kelly

AndrewL
Occasional Contributor II

Hello. Do you know if this capability will be available with Portal 10.7.1? Thank you.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any update on this Kelly Gerrow? I posed this question at an ESRI Ireland Tech Update in Belfast, 4th of April, which was one of the top voted questions, but fortunately didn't get answered.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI,

This isn't available currently, but is planned to be included with a release of Map Viewer Beta in 2020. Check out this geonet space to keep up to date on new features released with map viewer beta. ArcGIS Online Map Viewer Beta

0 Kudos
deleted-user-zDDgnx-PlxMH
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will check our license manager for the university to see what we have set aside for professional services through ESRI. Unfortunately, I am the GIS Admin rather than on the programming side. Do you know of any issues we could potentially run into since we don't have ArcGIS for Server or Enterprise in place yet?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Daniel,

The difference between the serverside implementation of group layers and the 4x JSAPI implementation of group layers is where the layers are grouped. With Dynamic Map Services, group layers are rendered on the serverside and provided to the web application as an image. This type of grouped layer is supported in the current version of ArcGIS Online as the layers are grouped before they are passed to the web application.With the 4X JSAPI, layers are grouped on the client side. If you don't have ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Enterprise you won't be able to use dynamic services for group layers, that would be the potential issue you would run into. so it sounds like you will need to look into problematically grouping layers for the time being.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Is this working now with the new map viewer that allows grouping? I can't make groups appear on the map app, only on the map viewer.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Joabel - you probably already figured this out, but when you set up a web map in the new viewer displaying a dynamic map service where the layers are grouped server-side, you don't get the sub-groups or sub-layers as a property. 

But, when you publish the map to one of the 4.x 'instant apps' or use the service in the javascript 3.x or 4.x api, the layer list widget picks up the sub group and layer info from the map and you then see your grouped layers.

Otherwise you can group map image services together using the 'Add to new Group', same as you would map image services, hosted feature layers, or a layer added by url, e.g https://...../arcgis/rest/services/CallCenterServices/ContactCenterService/MapServer/6

0 Kudos