generalize features based on zoom level

06-15-2022 11:36 AM
Labels (2)
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

I have some lines that were collected with good detail from aerial imagery, following their actual position on the ground. However, I have users who don't like the "bumpiness" of the lines when zoomed out - they'd rather the lines lose some detail and look smoother. I could create generalized lines and scale ranges, but I'm wondering if there's a way to generalize lines (or polys) on the fly as you zoom out. I'm thinking specifically about web maps, but no reason it couldn't apply to desktop mapping, as well. The concept seems like a desire as old as multi-scale mapping itself! Anyone already tackle this problem? I couldn't guess whether I'm overlooking some obvious existing option or if this is too magical to exist. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LanceKirby2

The map viewer should be generalizing the features as you zoom out by default. What they may interpret as bumpiness is actually the generalized more jagged lines.

0 Kudos
JeffThomasILM

Thanks for your reply. What they're seeing is, in fact, bumpiness caused by actual detail of the lines. It does generalize a tiny bit as you zoom out, but not enough to make it satisfactory. Interestingly, I noticed that hosted data seems to generalize a little more smoothly than referenced data. I don't know if this is known/intended behavior or if I'm just seeing things.

0 Kudos
LanceKirby2
I notice the difference in generalization between hosted and referenced data as well. I wish there was a property that could be changed on referenced data to control some of that smoothing.