Filter layers in Web Map with a URL parameter

11-18-2017 11:17 PM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III
  • I have a polygon regions layer.
  • I have a number of other layers that have already been pre-clipped to these regions
    • The region ID is included for every feature

Bit like this, the boxes are the regions:

End goal:

As a user, I want to choose a region from a dropdown, and then this opens a web map/web app with only the relevant features being shown and centered into the relevant bounding box for that region.

The bit I am struggling to work out, is a good approach to do the bit in red above.  Everything else is ok.

Some ideas:

• I could automate creating a series of web maps with relevant filters applied to each of the layers, and then I could use the relevant Web Map ID in a URL parameters. 
    • I don't like this, as will end up with lots of web maps and will be tricker if I need to update a popup/style for all of them. 
  • I was hoping that I could apply a filter to all of the layers in my web map purely through using a URL parameter.  I do not think this is possible?
  • AppBuilder might be a bit of a heavy app for this, but even with a hidden filter widget, I do not think I can use a URL parameter to call an app to filter all layers with a def query. 
  • If I was to go down the JS API route, it looks like I could possibly achieve what I want with featureLayer.setDefinitionExpression="regionID"

Just looking to brainstorm any ideas or send me some relevant links so I can do some homework before going down the wrong path.  Thanks!

9 Replies
TimConfare
New Contributor III

This is exactly what I have been looking for as well.  With my research I have not found a solution other than creating individual web maps that you stated above.  Hopefully someone will respond with a solution.  

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
gyetman
New Contributor II

Is this now possible? I see a comment "implemented" but I can't find documentation on how to feature to a subset of features based on a query (e.g., someValue < 50). 

0 Kudos
gyetman
New Contributor II

I found the documentation, the where clause does support filtering. 

0 Kudos
nickkeller
New Contributor

link to documentation?

0 Kudos
SimonAllard2
New Contributor III

Can you please send us the link to the documentation. Cheers, Simon

0 Kudos
SimonAllard2
New Contributor III

Anyone have the link to the documentation?

0 Kudos
RichardvBailey
New Contributor

Any luck with the link to the URL filter or where clause documentation? 

0 Kudos