Filter from Two Feature Classes

Jump to solution
05-17-2021 04:55 AM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I have a point Feature Class

I have a polygon feature Class.

When the web application opens I do not want to see any data.  There is too much data to show!!!!

I am looking to have someone select a field value from the point Feature Class field value.  This then filters out those records.  BUT what I want to do is then select the Polygons that have those Feature Located inside them.  So I then show the Polygons that have those features NOT the points themselves.

As you zoom in the points would then appear and the polygons would then disappear...Does that make sense.  So at a state level only grid polygons would show...when I get down to saw a county level the points would draw and the polygons would stop drawing.

Can this be done out of box in a web application?  Or do I need to do this somehow in a geoprocessing tool?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I accomplished this by creating a Polygon Layer and a Point Layer, then used a definition query, then used min max scale to turn them on and off as the user zooms

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrianForschner
New Contributor II

As to this part of your question: "As you zoom in the points would then appear and the polygons would then disappear...Does that make sense. So at a state level only grid polygons would show...when I get down to saw a county level the points would draw and the polygons would stop drawing" - If you are in ArcGIS Online, you can adjust this on the web map on which the web application is based by , This could be accomplished in the web map on which the web application is based by setting the visibility range for each layer. This is accessed in the AGOL map by clicking the three dots ("more options") under the layer in the table of contents. If you are in ArcMap or ArcPro, you can publish the map as a web map to AGOL.

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Yea I get the fact that I can set visibilities on the data but cant conceptualize how to work with both feature classes in AGOL and perform this query or filter.

Can AGOL do this?

Do I need to write python and publish a GP Tool service?

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

somehow select a species in the point file

This will then look for Polygons that 'contain' this filtered list of point locations

Resulting in a Point file and a Polygon File that I can control their visibility based on my zoom level.

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I can create a query in AGOL that selects the records from the point file pertaining to a Field Value

I can create a second query to spatially query the polygons that intersect those resulting points from the first query.

But I have to do this in a manual process running each query individually.  I need this to happen all at once.

That and when I run the second query it turns off the first point result.

Anyone have any thoughts?  

I guess I might have to do this with a geoprocessing script?  

0 Kudos
BrianForschner
New Contributor II

Did you try the Incident Analysis, Situation Awareness or Public Notification widgets in Web AppBuilder?

jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your input Brian

The Incident Analysis, Situation Awareness or Public Notification widgets are based on retrieving results from data and other datasets from a specific location.

My workflow is quite different.....

For Example: 

Data:

• Say you had 200,000 incidents across an entire state
  • You then overlaid a grid polygon on top

Workflow:

• The user selects a particular incident type
  • While zoomed to the entire state you want to show the grid polygons that contain those selected incidents
  • When the user zooms in to a particular zoom level the polygons turn off and the actual point locations appear.

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I accomplished this by creating a Polygon Layer and a Point Layer, then used a definition query, then used min max scale to turn them on and off as the user zooms

0 Kudos