Filter Feature Layer for null values

Jump to solution
06-29-2022 08:52 AM
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
New Contributor III

Looking to filter a Feature Layer to show only features with null / no data values from a text field, but cannot figure out how to do so.  

Basically trying to create a map that will be used by a field editor, showing them which features need to have data entered.  Once they add a value to the field, it will then disappear from the map.  This should be easy, right?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

In the 'is' dropdown in the middle, there should be an 'is blank' option. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DarrellHill
New Contributor

If I'm understanding you correctly, and if it's SQL based, your definition query should be;

<DATAFIELD> IS NULL

Can't use <DATAFIELD> = NULL

0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
New Contributor III

I'm using the Classic Map Viewer, so IS is the only applicable operator.  I tried every combination of NULL, <NULL>, etc. and unfortunately that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

Two options if you are wanting to filter within the map, or filter the entire layer itself through a View. If you go the 'view' route, this link is also useful: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/introducing-the-new-create-and-updat...

In both instances, the filter expression will be something like 'FieldName' 'is blank'.

0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
New Contributor III

I would like to filter in the map - how would I do so?

sgambrel_Bouldercounty_1-1656519247497.png

A View might work but is unnecessarily cumbersome.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

In the 'is' dropdown in the middle, there should be an 'is blank' option. 

0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
New Contributor III

A ha!  That worked!  Thanks, I did not see the "Is Blank" down the list - I really figured that "Is" was going to be the operator.  Thank you.

0 Kudos