Feature Layer loses public sharing when overwritten

11-29-2022 12:13 PM
EricPassler
New Contributor

I have a hosted feature layer that is public in ArcGIS Online, created in ArcGIS Pro. Occasionally, this layer needs geometry or attribute changes to be made in ArcGIS Pro, requiring the hosted feature layer to be overwritten, under the “Share” tab on the top ribbon of Pro. This tool works and all edits are added to the layer in AGOL. However, when this process is done in ArcGIS Pro, the layer loses its previously publicly shared setting, being reset to only available to me and shared groups.

In fact, the option to click the “Everyone” option under the sharing settings on the Overwrite Web Layer tool in Pro is greyed out. The option remains greyed and unchecked even if the layer was already public before being overwritten.

If anybody knows of a way to overwrite an already publicly shared hosted feature layer without it losing its sharing settings, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is supposed to pull in the existing layer's details. But as you've found, that doesn't always work.

My two cents: try to find a different method to update your layer's data. Overwriting just to update features is like wrecking and rebuilding a house in order to repaint the walls. Instead of overwriting, try truncating the layer and appending into it. This re-loads fresh data into your service without touching any of its other details like sharing, etc., and is much less likely to cause problems.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS