Extract Data analysis tool in Map Viewer concatenates all attributes

08-02-2023 04:34 PM
Labels (3)
egorbn
by
New Contributor II

I'm trying to extract a KML of a subset of features from a hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online.

I filter the features by attribute to get a small subset from a very large feature service.

I then use the "Extract Data" tool to extract this subset as a KML file.

The tool runs successfully, and the features are extracted, however, the resulting features have a different set of attributes compared to the source feature service.

There are two major issues:

1. All the attributes from the source feature service seem to be concatenated into a single attribute in the KML called "description", (which contains an HTML table of the original attributes!!!)

extract_data_kml_attributes.png

2. I open the resulting KML in a the Map Viewer, the layer has several nested sublayers all named "Layer 1"

extract_data_kml_export_layers.png

I don't see any other options that I can play with in the "Extract Data" tool, but this seems strange and is not a usable solution.

Note that using the same tool but selecting a File Geodatabase as the output format works well and the expected output fields are present in the extracted data.

This seems like a bug in the tool.

1 Reply
egorbn
by
New Contributor II

Interestingly, running the "Layer to KML (Conversion Tools)" geoprocessing tool in ArcGIS Pro has the same result.

It seems counter-intuitive, but I admit that maybe there's documentation that I'm missing?

I couldn't find the logic in the tool help or in the "KML Concepts" docs:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/conversion/kml-conversion.htm

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos