Existing layers showing "Error occurred loading this layer" at random

Jump to solution
07-13-2022 05:37 AM
MGT8C2U
New Contributor III

Several existing layers in three different hosted feature layer groups started showing this error.  Seemed to happen at random, as no changes were made to them.

I tried removing them and then adding back in.  This seemed to work after saving map, but when closing and opening back up, the error remained. 

I have overwritten hosted feature layer from ArcPro.  This did not help.

I tried removing the hosted feature layer entirely from AGO and re-published.  Strangely, this did not fix the issue either.  Error showing for same layer, but not others. I have never had this issue unless there was an error publishing or overwriting layer from ArcPro. Any thoughts?

We have had more problems with ESRI products in the past several months than I have in the past several years. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MGT8C2U
New Contributor III

I accidentally found the solution to my particular problem.  No one in our organization was having issues except for me (the admin).  I went to a meeting where I use the Web Map for reference/presentation purposes, and when I logged in my admin account on a different computer, the problem did not exist.  It was working perfectly.  I mostly use Microsoft Edge, but noticed the problem didn't exist when I logged into Google Chrome.  So, I cleared browsing data on Microsoft Edge and it fixed all of the errors.  Not sure how that could cause a problem, but it was.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
MGT8C2U
New Contributor III

I forgot to add that the layers were showing up fine on Fields maps mobile app.  Just showing errors in Map Viewer.

0 Kudos
MarkQuattlebaum
New Contributor II

Oh my friend...I've fought this for about a month now, a case was opened. Defect report made by support analyst Daniel, Bug report (#0000150632) filed about it.  AGOL summarily dismissed it all.  For us, it seems to have to do with the layer being associated with geonetwork.  You have to go around your elbow now to remove 2 files before publishing in order to resolve this error.  We are still fuming about what they did.  It creates a lot more work for us.  Yes just a month ago, things would publish without error even if they were associated with geonetwork.  Previously, in the background somehow, the act of publishing would either ignore or rip out the 2 offending files, now it errors out etc.  I know this does not help much, but maybe it will spark an idea.  The case file regarding this that we started are: 03090371.  I also did a write up in the community regarding this problem.  Seems developers would not break stuff that works just to update.  Updates should enhance and improve, not break stuff that works.

0 Kudos
PaulinaMarczak
New Contributor III

Hi. I am also having this issue as of today. Once I changed my colour gradient in my view layer and refresh the map, the layer in question does not load anymore. If i try to add the layer again, it loads fine in map viewer, but fails to load if I refresh or if I view it in my dashboard. The layer is pretty basic, it's not associated with any geonetwork. 

0 Kudos
MGT8C2U
New Contributor III

I accidentally found the solution to my particular problem.  No one in our organization was having issues except for me (the admin).  I went to a meeting where I use the Web Map for reference/presentation purposes, and when I logged in my admin account on a different computer, the problem did not exist.  It was working perfectly.  I mostly use Microsoft Edge, but noticed the problem didn't exist when I logged into Google Chrome.  So, I cleared browsing data on Microsoft Edge and it fixed all of the errors.  Not sure how that could cause a problem, but it was.

MHubb
by
New Contributor

Thanks for the solution. Interestingly, I mostly use Google Chrome, and was experiencing this issue. I tried in Microsoft Edge with no issues. Hopefully a more permanent fix can be found. 

0 Kudos
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

Oh wow...I'll try this as well. I hope it is the solution!  Thanks everybody!

0 Kudos
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

I tried from home on a Mac running Firefox. They goofed up layers all worked. So maybe it was a cache or windows/edge thing?

Thanks for the info, everybody.

0 Kudos
Brian_Culpepper
New Contributor III

thanks for this!  made my Friday.. 😎

0 Kudos
CPaulman
New Contributor II

I am having this issue as an admin. I did notice clearing my cache on Chrome would work but then in a few days the layers were having the same errors again. It works fine on Edge. 

Other people in my organization are having the same issue with different layers! I tell them to clear their cache or try another browser. I need to find a better solution. Anyone find something permanent?

0 Kudos