Select to view content in your preferred language

Error while analyzing Shapefile 'parcels.zip' invalid compression method

11-29-2018 12:57 PM
BDU_RyanChittenden
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to add a parcels layer to a webmap on AGOL.  I keep getting this error message; Error in adding file item: Error while analyzing Shapefile 'parcels.zip' invalid compression method.  I made sure all the necessary files for a shapefile were compressed, and have done so a handful of times with no success.  Since it is a parcel layer for the largest county in the U.S. is it a size limitation I am dealing with?  The zip file is too large to attach to this post too.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ryan,

Can you confirm what is in the zip file? Which files I mean? How large it is (size wise)? How many polygons are in it? Can you consume this parcel data from a feature service hosted by that city or county or state?

0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
Occasional Contributor

The .dbf, .prj, .sbn, .sbx, .shp, .shx, and another .shp but it is listed as XML document. Compressed file size is 298k and there are 810k polygons.  I am not sure what you mean by  "Can you consume this parcel data from a feature service hosted by that city or county or state?"  I usually work on local drives exclusively in arcmap or qgis.  This is the first time I had to mess with web maps on AGOL.  Got to say I am disappointed by its limited functionality.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It's only 298 kb? Can you attach it to your post (or a reply)? 

Where I work/live, in Utah, I can go to the State of Utah's GIS depository and grab any of the local county's parcel data as they provide it as a service on their GIS Server. This service can be consumed in ArcGIS Online.

In AGOL you can add a layer "from the web" and just put in the web address as that layer:

You can also search for these layers as well and I would think more places would have parcel data out for grabs in AGOL.

0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
Occasional Contributor

excuse me 298k kb.  typo

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

If you're in Los Angeles county, it looks like you can consume their data in AGOL here:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5b277305f006459586a70165065d0fd6 

0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
Occasional Contributor

It is san bernardino county

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor
0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
Occasional Contributor

I uploaded it to google drive then uploaded it to my content in AGOL.  it worked.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Great, glad it worked!