empty attribute table on web map

Jump to solution
02-18-2017 09:44 AM
ElizabethHigh
New Contributor III

Hey all,

I'm making a  web map on ArcGIS Online. When I open the attribute tables of the feature layers while I'm in the webmap, they're blank. The field headers are there, but there is no data. When I open the features as shapefiles in a .mxd file, the attribute tables are fine. This seems like something that probably has an easy fix, but I've tried everything I can think of. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdelaideZumwalt1
Occasional Contributor II

I found that if I had hidden fields in ArcMap during the publishing process the attribute tables on ArcGIS Online would be empty. Once I made sure all my fields were shown in ArcMap I could publish to ArcGIS Online successfully and hide fields on the webmap. It's a pain if you frequently publish maps with hidden fields, but it works.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Howdy Elizabeth,

That does seem rather odd. Would it be possible for you to share your zipped up shapefile on here so we can test it?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You did zip all the bits of the shapefile including the *.shp, *.shx and the *.dbf at least prior to posting?

ElizabethHigh
New Contributor III

I added a feature service from our ArcGIS Server. I published that from a .mxd and the attribute table and all other features seemed to work fine within the .mxd. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How did you add your data to ArcGIS Online? Published from ArcMap or Added a zipped shapefile from Computer or Added a feature service from ArcGIS Server REST URL?

Think Location
ElizabethHigh
New Contributor III

I added a feature service from ArcGIS Server REST URL. Could that be the reason or the problem? 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What happens if you replace the FeatureServer URL with the MapServer URL (REST) of the same layer?

Is the ArcGIS Server version 10 SP1 and above?

Try adding the specific feature layer to a new web map on AGOL, and check if the issue persists?

Think Location
0 Kudos
ElizabethHigh
New Contributor III

Our server is version 10.3. I tried replacing the FeatureServer URL with the Map Server URL, and the table became usable. But I don't like using the MapServer URL because I don't have as much control of the layers within the map.

Interestingly, I created an app with WAB and looked at the web map through it. When viewed through the app, the table is completely visible. So that kind of fixes the ultimate issue, but I would still love to know whey the table isn't visible in the web map in the map viewer. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It could be an issue within that particular webmap. I think it should work when the feature service is added to a new webmap.

Think Location
0 Kudos
RachelAlbritton
Occasional Contributor III

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm experiencing the same problem. I've tried adding the feature layer to a different webmap but I get the same results.

0 Kudos