editing a shape file online

01-03-2020 01:22 PM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

I have a shape file that I have been editing (adding to) on my local machine.  I have uploaded the shape file to an esri online map.  I'd like to be able to re-upload my new shape file so it updates the content that I already have online. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Just a thought, but you could go to your ArcGIS Online account (Content), delete the old zipped up shapefile and then upload the new zipped up shapefile with the same name as your old zipped up shapefile.

If you use ArcGIS Pro, you can create a (hosted) feature layer and then when the time comes to update the feature layer, you can overwrite the feature layer.

Why are you using zipped up shapefiles just out of curiousity?

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

The reason is because when I add a layer, my option is to upload a shape from my computer. What are my other options?

Sent via the Galaxy S7

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you using ArcGIS Pro at all or strictly ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Arcgis online

Sent via the Galaxy S7

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I see.  So using ArcGIS Online only with no other Esri products licensed?  Correct?  If this is the case, then deleting/uploading the zipped up shapefile is your only course of action to my knowledge.

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Actually as I think about it, I do have access to pro. What would the steps be using pro?

Sent via the Galaxy S7

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In AGP...

1. Add the shapefile to a new map view in ArcGIS Pro.
  2. Click the Share tab and in the Share As group, click Web Layer
  3. Publish to ArcGIS Online.
  4. When the time comes to overwrite the web layer, click the dropdown on the Web Layer command and select Overwrite Web Layer.

Could be an easier workflow!

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much. I'll give it a look Monday

Sent via the Galaxy S7

MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Robert….I am using ArcGis Desktop 10.6.1. Do I need to upgrade to pro to do the steps you mentioned? Thanks

Mike Henson

0 Kudos