Edit attributes of a Feature Layer in a Dashboard

03-22-2023 12:56 PM
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to edit attributes of a feature layer that is displayed in a Dashboard?

I have a webmap with an editable feature layer. I can edit the data in the webmap, but once I build a dashboard around the webmap I can not edit the data wile inside the Dashboard environment.

The idea behind this dashboard is to track and to update parcel status as we work on the project. Think parcel acquisition and the steps that go into that. I am tracking all of that in a table and want to be able to update it AND to display it all in a dashboard so I can slice and dice the data.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'd recommend trying out Experience Builder.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can't directly edit the data displayed in the Dashboard, but a common method is to use an embedded Survey123 form, and to use the dashboard feature selection to load the form on a per-feature basis. It's not a particularly fast method, but it works.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I think it would be cool to be able to click on a parcel in the dashboard map, have it pre-populate the survey123 form, have the user edit the form, resubmit it, and then voila! But I don't think survey123 works that direction (unless I'm totally off-base!).

One thing we do with our parcel-map dashboards is have an embedded Web AppBuilder map as one of the tabs to where the user could edit that map and it would potentially reflect back to the dashboard.

In reality, we deal with this on a daily basis to where we have found it easiest to have a shared spreadsheet (Google Sheets work well) where the data people edit the status and other attributes of each parcel, and then I run an FME script that updates the map/dashboard after this happens. Running this on a daily task scheduler has been successful. 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh, it can totally work that way! You just need URL parameters like

surveyURL?mode=edit&globalId={globalid}

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

No way! Man, am I out of touch with the latest goings-on for S123! I'm going to have to try this out. Does each parcel need to have a globalID that ties it back into the survey and I assume you likely have to use Survey123 Connect for this (and not the web edition)?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, you need Connect to publish a survey off an existing feature layer, and the parcels need a GlobalID in order for the "mode=edit" thing to work. But once you do that, you can edit individual features via S123.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

I read some about using this process. I have never used Survey123 Connect. I tried without reading anything and it generated an error when I tried building the survey based in the hosted feature layer. I need to figure that out, BUT it sounds like this is the solution.

0 Kudos