Select to view content in your preferred language

Edge to Face Relationship Build

12-08-2023 08:23 AM
JerryRich
New Contributor

I've come to a road block with QGIS with a particular task I need to accomplish and before buying a license for an ESRI product I would like to know if it carries the functionality I need.  Here's my problem:

Given a planar graph, generate polygons(faces) with unique ID's and assign the faceids to the the respective sides of the edges(arcs).  Then export the arcs(as linestrings IE. To/Fr nodes with shape points) with left and right faceid's to a shapefile.  I will be building a Postgress GIS database with tables such as: nodes, edges, shapepoints, faceid's, very similar to the 2023 Census Tiger release files.

For instance, if I brought in a planar graph like the one below with 11 edges(Arcs), run some Arc routine that would create face id's(I used letters for clarity and assume the algorithm to produce a numeric id) and produce faceid A, B and C(outside I would assume to be NULL?). Then transpose A,B and C to their respect edges sides(based on to/from directionality of course).  So, when I exported the resulting data set I would get something like this(not going to list all the edges): 

Edge #4 Left = B and Right = A  

Edge #11 Left = C and Right = B

Edge #2 Left = NULL and Right = A

etc....

Is this doable in Arc?

Screenshot 2023-12-08 111327.jpg

0 Kudos
0 Replies