Dynamic Symbology using Web Map Analysis Join Features

Jump to solution
07-24-2024 10:30 AM
Labels (2)
PTW
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am currently using this "Workflow Inspection" video series to create an inspection workflow: https://mediaspace.esri.com/media/t/1_gxdws7l2

However in part 2 (https://mediaspace.esri.com/media/t/1_bv8npsdx) ~ 7 minutes in, Eric uses Analysis Join Features to create a new "Recent Inspections" layer. Then he uses Arcade to symbolize this layer based on the Inspection Dates and it is supposed to update dynamically.

There are two problems with this workflow:

First, the Join Features is now consuming credits. Currently this is not a big deal since I don't have that many features however this may be an issue.

Second, the Join Features is not dynamic. I ran the tool once and even though I updated existing inspection records and added new ones, it does not update. Not only will running cost additional credits but it will also create a new layer that will need the Arcade expression added to it to work properly.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

@EricWagner3 

@EricWagner4 ?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
EricWagner4
New Contributor II

Hey @PTW! Thanks for checking out the videos! It sounds like you're using the Join tool in the "newer" Map Viewer. Continue to use the Join tool in the Map Viewer Classic. There still appears to be some differences between the Join tools in the two map viewers. Once you've created the hosted feature layer join view in the Map Viewer Classic, you can add it to a map using the Map Viewer. Once in the Map Viewer, configure it as you please (refresh interval, symbology, pop-up, etc.).

View solution in original post

AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

Hi @PTW,
As @EricWagner4  mentioned, the option to create a Hosted Feature Layer View Join is not available in the Join Features tool in Map Viewer.

There's a new way to create a hosted feature layer view from a join, located on the item details page of your target layer. You can check out the documentation here and this great blog post about the new method.

AmandaRing_3-1719424547752.png

Hope that helps!

Amanda
Product Engineer - Web Analysis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricWagner4
New Contributor II

Hey @PTW! Thanks for checking out the videos! It sounds like you're using the Join tool in the "newer" Map Viewer. Continue to use the Join tool in the Map Viewer Classic. There still appears to be some differences between the Join tools in the two map viewers. Once you've created the hosted feature layer join view in the Map Viewer Classic, you can add it to a map using the Map Viewer. Once in the Map Viewer, configure it as you please (refresh interval, symbology, pop-up, etc.).

PTW
by
New Contributor III

Rad! Thank you @EricWagner4 !

I appreciate the quick response and I just confirmed that it is working in Map Viewer Classic. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

Hi @PTW,
As @EricWagner4  mentioned, the option to create a Hosted Feature Layer View Join is not available in the Join Features tool in Map Viewer.

There's a new way to create a hosted feature layer view from a join, located on the item details page of your target layer. You can check out the documentation here and this great blog post about the new method.

AmandaRing_3-1719424547752.png

Hope that helps!

Amanda
Product Engineer - Web Analysis
0 Kudos