Select to view content in your preferred language

Duplicate Feature Layer (host) Survery123

02-14-2023 03:48 PM
RichardPasquale
Emerging Contributor

While "Republishing"/Updating a Survey123 using Connect, the system, machine, network, AGOL (who know) froze or glitched and I just got a spinning green circle (even as I'm writing this).

After waiting 30min, I refreshed my AGOL content page and was greeted be an additional Feature Layer (host) for this respective form.

What is the best course of action to recover from this error? As this is far from the first time and generally happens once every 30-40 republishes.

I'd like to keep my content space tidy as it is all shared with my org, but the risk of deleting the wrong right thing of corrupting all the work prior (because of how easy it is to do) has me seeking help from the community.

Which Feature Layer do I delete? and how do I keep from getting into these pickles?

RichardPasquale_0-1676417675623.png

2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @RichardPasquale

This likely happened because delete protection was enabled on the feature service and a change was made to the survey that required deleting the existing feature service and recreating it. When republishing you will know if Survey123 will delete the existing feature service and recreate it because it will display a message similar to this: 

ZacharySutherby_0-1676419868185.png

We have a defect (BUG-000150495) where Survey123 will get stuck when trying to delete the feature service when delete protection is enabled. This is why you see the new feature service created and the original one because Survey123 couldn't delete it. 

To resolve the issue you can republish the survey again you should see a message like the one above but it will say "Request error" because Survey123 now doesn't know what feature service it should point to so it will then create a new one. After that republish completes you will see three feature services, you can delete the 2 previous ones if you don't need them your survey will point to the third and most recent one. 

Please see this documentation for more information regarding what changes will require deleting and recreating the feature service: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/updatesurvey.htm

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
RichardPasquale
Emerging Contributor

@ZacharySutherby  Thanks,

I now have a better understanding of settings and pocesses.  I'll continue to study more. This morning I was updating a new survey and made the Delete settings adjustment, yet this same duplication still happened.

RichardPasquale_0-1676480178395.png

0 Kudos