Downloading Attachments from ArcGIS Online to ArcMap

08-22-2013 07:45 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
This summer we published a feature service to our ArcGIS online for Organizations account.  In the online app, our users were able to attach photos to new and existing features.  The data is not stored in and SDE, but rather a fgdb.  When we add the feature service into ArcMap and use the identify button, an option to open the attachments appears.  However when I open the attachments it does not show the photo (it just shows a small white box with a red x inside).  Somewhere in the process, the attachments are not transfering over.  Does anyone know how to get the attachments to appear?

Thanks,

Laura
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Did you enable attachments through ArcGIS online or before you uploaded it through ArcCatalog?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I enabled attachments after I published to ArcGIS online.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Can you try and enable attachments before you upload it to ArcGIS Online, via ArcCatalog, and then download it and see if that works?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I accidently saved over the map document that I used to publish to the website, so I am not sure what the data source was for that published service.  The data online still has everything and I didn't overwrite the published service (just map document was overwritten).  Also, I tried to export the shapefiles, but those obviously didn't carry over the attachments.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
After some digging I have found this!

Last post in this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/60863-Export-Feature-Service-with-Attachments

ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2 will support "Creating a local copy" of the service that will also contain the attachments.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yeah, I came across that too, but was hoping someone else found a way around it :confused:. I will jut have to be patient!!

Thank you!
0 Kudos
AriIsaak1
New Contributor III
This is supposed to be a viable solution to this problem. I haven't tried it yet.

https://gist.github.com/oevans/6992139
0 Kudos
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

The following script downloads hosted Feature Layer attachments to disk: Downloading Feature Layer Attachments via the ArcGIS API for Python. Not directly related to this thread, but mentioning it in case anyone is searching for such a solution!