Downloaded World Hillshade Features

04-14-2022 12:16 PM
Labels (2)
DavidGray2
New Contributor III

Hello AGOL Questions;   I have had success in downloading World Hillshade layers(tiles?) for specified areas to be able to use offline. Turns out the download comes in two layers: a layer with the shaded relief topo for the area specified and a separate culture feature layer for the same area. Both are useful.

Two further aspects derive out of working with this product:

1) These are not feature layers where one can edit - say, geoprocess clip a portion by another subarea boundary polygon or, say, play with the coloration and display transparency? Are there options here to download or convert this info to an editable feature layer?

2) It appears the resolution of the hillshaded topo is probably 30 meters or so. Which is great for sizable enough areas. When working with a really small area, the topo is looking a bit cheesy and artificial. Are there additional sources of more detailed resolution - maybe of local origin - shaded relief topo available out there that can be downloaded and worked with offline is similar fashion?

Thanks for any thoughts in this matter.

Dave

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Dave,

Do you have access to aerial imagery for your local area?  Also, what version of ArcGIS Desktop and/or ArcGIS Pro are you using?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
DavidGray2
New Contributor III

Hi Amanda; I have been working in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2. Also have ArcMap 10.8.2.   But it is a basic license so I don't have the Hillshade tools. That is why I was working with downloading coverage from World Hillshade for export. As far as aerial imagery goes, the area I am working with is Italy. For shaded relief topo the resources appear to be limited. Any possible alternative sources would be welcome. And any help on getting the shaded relief topo into an editable feature layer would be welcome.    Thanks; Dave