Does ArcGIS Online support dynamic layers?

03-09-2015 11:24 AM
BrockAnderson
New Contributor II

Hello All,

Our ArcGIS Server is configured to support dynamic layers.  For example we can request a dynamic layer from ArcGIS Server with a URL like this:

http://[server_url]/export?bbox=...&size=...&dpi=...&format=...&transparent=true&imageSR=...&bboxSR=... JSON string here]

The details of the layer to return are in the JSON string.

Is it possible to add a dynamic layer defined via a JSON string as new layer in ArcGIS Online?  (I don't see any clear way to add a dynamic layer via My Content > Add Item > Item from the web > ArcGIS Server web service, or through any other means).

Any suggestions, or even confirmation that adding dynamic layers isn't possible would be a great help.

Thanks,

Brock

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Brock,

What type of functionality are you looking to have by adding a dynamic layer to ArcGIS Online? Are you looking to specify symbology?

When adding an item to ArcGIS Online through add Item, it is not possible to specify any specific operations on a layer as ArcGIS Online has built in functionality to perform some operations. Adding a specific request to a dynamic layer will not be possible as an added item to ArcGIS Online, but it may be able to perform you desired task in a different way.

Please let me know if you can provide more details about the functionality that you are looking for and we can see if there is a different way to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
BrockAnderson
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response Kelly.

Our map service only has one pre-configured layer, and it's just a "dummy" layer so the service isn't completely empty. 

We do have a bunch of layers, but the only way to access them is through an "export" request with a JSON string specifying the specific layer to draw in a dynamicLayer= parameter. The JSON strings for the dynamic layers do specify some style information, but my main interest in using dynamic layers is to request a layer which is not listed or discoverable any other way.

I have the impression from your message that it's not possible to create an ArcGIS Online layer that points to a ArcGIS Server dynamic layer defined by a JSON string.  Is that correct?  It would be really nice to see this as an enhancement in a future version of ArcGIS Online!

SUJAYCHOKSHI
New Contributor

Dear Kelly Gerrow‌,

Warm Greetings!!!

Can you help me for the below mentioned requirement, 

Suppose one of the client is using some CRM currently and I am trying to put all the data in GDB and publish in AGOL account. is there any chance if i can connect the AGOL data with CRM Data without having ArcGIS Server??

if yes how i can connect the data and sync the data as and when it is updated. and other thing how to connect the data from the external API?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sujay

0 Kudos