Displaying Georeferenced images in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
03-24-2017 12:01 PM
JohnathanHardy
New Contributor

Hello,

I am working on a project which requires the use of a Story Map which will display site plans of specific sites in the Middle East. These site plans are georeferenced to a specific site, and when a user selects a specific site the story map will display relevant information about the site as well as display the site plan overlayed on the existing architecture. 

The problem I am having is getting the georeferenced files into ArcGIS Online. I unfortunately cannot use MapWarper as the base map they use for referencing does not have satellite imagery. 

I have two questions:

1) Is there another website/hosting service with satellite imagery basemap which allows me to create a WMS capable URL which I can use in ArcGIS Online?

2) Is there a way to upload georeferenced imagery directly from QGIS or ArcGIS for Desktop (10.5) into ArcGIS Online?

Some background: I have had some success converting georeferenced images into shape files, and then converting them to tiles in ArcGIS Online, however this greatly reduces the resolution of the image, and creates a very clunky display. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you want to cache the map service, have a look at Publish a Tiled Service to ArcGIS Online w/o ArcGIS for Server or Utilizing Your Credits 

Then add to the map of ArcGIS Online Using custom basemaps | ArcGIS Blog .

Think Location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you want to cache the map service, have a look at Publish a Tiled Service to ArcGIS Online w/o ArcGIS for Server or Utilizing Your Credits 

Then add to the map of ArcGIS Online Using custom basemaps | ArcGIS Blog .

Think Location
JohnathanHardy
New Contributor

This is exactly what I need. However is it possible to get it to display on top of an online basemap? When opening in the Map Viewer in ArcGIS Online it uses it as a basemap. When trying to open it in a pre-existing map it says that the coordinate systems do not match. 

0 Kudos