Departmental (non-individual) account?

02-26-2018 07:57 AM
MarkThomas
New Contributor II

Background:
We're a university with an Esri campus site license and use Enterprise logins. We have a demand occasionally from users who need to post an interactive map online (e.g., an Esri Storymap), but it’s the result of a research project that was a group effort, more associated with a Duke program rather than an individual. The individuals affiliated with that program may come and go, but the hope is that their final product (interactive map) can stay with the program. There might be a need for other researchers in the future to update underlying data used in the map. This has been a hassle in the past to migrate content from one host to another, and involves administrative overhead.

Question:
Is there any way using Esri’s cloud (not a locally maintained instance of Arc Server) to have such an account to host services that isn’t associated with an individual Arc Online account attached to an individua? An individual may leave Duke, so the services on that person’s account would go away unless they arrange for migration to another person’s account before leaving. Basically, having content reside not in an individual’s account, but in some sort of department/program account? Since the accounts are associated with Duke NetID’s, they don’t seem to readily lend themselves to this sort of set-up.

There are AGOL Groups, but these have a real-person owner in charge. I wondered if anyone knows of a way to work around this reliance on an individual when dealing with groups?

If this isn’t something that Esri makes possible, then departmental/program accounts are something that should be developed for AGOL organizational site licenses if there’s any way to work it out (there would necessarily need to be an official real person owner at any given time, but that person could come and go and the hosted data would stay with the departmental account).

Thanks for any insight on this. --Mark

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I can not speak for how licensing would work at a University, that would be best discussed with your customer service or local distributor, but as a State agency, we have a similar problem with employees changing, and/or with users going on season leave, etc.  I responded to a thread in the past couple weeks, but can't find it now.

In short; what we do is have a second account assigned to our administrator (that is, takes another name user slot....could be a lead on the project.  This is a gray licensing area, but I say as long as anyone using that general account also has one  slot in their name, there has to be some reasonable exceptions that can handle changing staff.  Then I use the ArcGIS API for Python administrator sample and modify it for our organization account.  The modified sample will create a folder under the Org_hold user, using the old user's name for the folder name. Then it reassigns and moves all the items owned by them to that folder, and deletes the old user.

With the API, you could probably do something similar but either just transfer to the new user (and make sure the user is in the same groups) or other administration tasks, as needed to get to the new person up and running.  

The https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-python-api?sr=search&searchId=bc7203b6-ec3c-442a-b0db-3d1ee...‌  has and is getting more options for administering Online (and Portal?) among other things.