Dates lose a day when uploaded to AGOL

Jump to solution
05-05-2017 08:14 AM
RogerYoung1
New Contributor III

When I upload files to AGOL I lose a day on all dates. This happens whether I upload the file as a single shape file or as a service. I've looked at the other questions and they seem to be talking about fields with calculations. These are all historical dates that are already in the file with no calculation needed. They were created from a csv in Desktop, so there isn't any time data in the date (although they do wind up with some default time data that I disable in the popup configuration). I have added fields to the files I already have in AGOL and used the calculation function to add a day. Should I automatically add fields to files I upload to use as calculation fields in order to have accurate dates? This seems a little bit crazy when we're talking about at least four dates for each feature and the data is static.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicoleGamble1
Esri Contributor

Hi Roger,

Here's an article about this that might be helpful:

Problem: ArcGIS Online pop-up windows and attribute tables display the date as a day earlier

If you are working in desktop, the easiest way to get around this is probably to enable time on the layer and specify a time zone before publishing. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NicoleGamble1
Esri Contributor

Hi Roger,

Here's an article about this that might be helpful:

Problem: ArcGIS Online pop-up windows and attribute tables display the date as a day earlier

If you are working in desktop, the easiest way to get around this is probably to enable time on the layer and specify a time zone before publishing. 

RogerYoung1
New Contributor III

Hi Nicole,

I thought we had it, but these layers have four separate dates in them. What I am mapping is fire department responses to fires, so there is an alarm time and date, an arrival time and date, a controlled time and date and a last unit cleared time and date. This solution works perfectly on one field but doesn't correct the other three. Unfortunately we have to have all of the dates because and alarm could come in just before midnight so it would be one date for the alarm and another for arrival. The same goes for the controlled and cleared fields. If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate it, but if it has to be calculated fields, then that's just the way it is.

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
NicoleGamble1
Esri Contributor

I see what you mean, it looks like there is an ArcGIS Idea that is currently under consideration about this: Option to not use UTC time in ArcGIS Online

There are a few people on that thread that mention the same issue as you where they have multiple fields. If you have a chance, it might be helpful if you could make a comment as well explaining your use case.

In the mean time, are you working with point data, lines, or polygons? It looks the option to specify a time zone was recently added when publishing a csv so that might be an option if you're using points. There's also the Convert Time Zone tool mentioned in the technical article, although I'm not sure how much faster that would be than your current workaround. 

RogerYoung1
New Contributor III

I did as you suggested and added my comment to the idea and up voted it. Thanks for looking into it for me.

0 Kudos