Custom Basemaps ArcGIS Online

02-12-2019 08:45 AM
CourtneyAschenbrenner
New Contributor

I'm wondering if someone has experience importing custom basemaps in ArcGIS Online? This will later be used in the Collector app. The imagery comes from LiDAR so it covers a very specific area, to expand on that I wanted to have a basemap layer under the LiDAR imagery to fill in the blank space. So far I've been able to import the LiDAR image file (.ecw) but I have been unsuccessful in bringing the basemap along with it. I've tried export the basemap image to a .tiff or .ecw, combining the LiDAR imagery file and basemap file to generated a map server tiling scheme tool, and created a web layer from there. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can set up your basemap layers in the way you'd like them to appear and then Share > Web Layer > Publish Web Layer (if in ArcGIS Pro). In this process you can choose custom scale levels and projection if you use the "Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme" (the the xml output from that as an input for publishing the web layer). Otherwise you can just use the default.

I found this video a useful reference. It basically shows two different methods. What was easier and worked better for me was just doing the Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme tool to get an xml and then sharing the web layer.
Uploading tile layers and tile packages to ArcGIS Online - YouTube 

I have been creating basemaps using this workflow lately and discovered a bug when you are using finer scale levels. More information here:
https://community.esri.com/thread/260662-share-as-web-layer-tiles-not-showing-on-web-map 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos