Custom Administrative Role Unable To Change Sharing Settings On Items

09-28-2021 06:58 AM
Labels (2)
John_Spence
Occasional Contributor III

Hey folks,

I have a situation where I have a pseudo administration role that is not an administrator to meet certain internal organization needs.  After the last AGOL update, that role no longer is able to change the sharing settings on an item that is not owned by them, even though they have the rights to be able to do so. The only permissions I left out were the following:

John_Spence_0-1632837294766.png

Everything else they can do.

Ironically, if I turned all those permissions on, they still would not be able to change the sharing settings on items not owned by them. I have actually have to switch the affected users to be Administrators to be able to fix this.

The behavior I see is that they do not receive an error when they attempt to change permissions.  Instead, it gives them the green success box, but then nothing changes on the item.

Not a great situation when trying to implement the least privileges' model.

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @John_Spence I have been reviewing a similar issue with another user and I believe this could be unexpected behavior. Please log a ticket with support and reference the following bug: 

BUG-000153096: User with custom role with all privileges unable to change sharing settings on items

The analyst will attach the bug to your account so we can have more visibility on the number of people affected. In addition, you will be able to track its progress on my.esri.com.

The current workaround we have is for the pseudo administrator to first change ownership of the item to themselves, share the item, and then change the ownership back if necessary. 

John_Spence
Occasional Contributor III

Case #03178070 opened per your request.

0 Kudos