Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a Joined View Layer using 3 tables

4 weeks ago
JoshB123
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a Survey123 form that collects data into a feature layer that contains 3 related tables.

JoshB123_0-1720615707507.png

In order to create summaries, reports and analysis on the data, I need to be able to join all tables together.

Is it possible to create layer views joining more than 2 tables? If not, this seems like a major limitation if Arconline allows me to create the tables in the first place.

Joining multiple tables together is a fundamental task within SQL databases I manage.

Thanks

Josh

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No, you cannot create a joined layer that flattens your tables. Well, you can with two, but not more than that.

We get around this by using Data Expressions to flatten the data, but that would only be of use in a Dashboard, really.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JoshB123
New Contributor III

Thanks that's useful to know.

It seems like a limitation that if improved, could open doors to a lot smarter reporting and analysis. 

It seems strange that it doesn't already exist?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well, it's one of the trade-offs with hosted layers. You don't have to do any of the direct-database maintenance, but complex SQL commands are no longer available to you. Presumably, users who require the more advanced stuff would publish a registered service that connects to an Enterprise GeoDatabase, rather than using a hosted layer.

Using Survey123 Connect, it's possible to create a survey that connects to an existing feature service, so you could create a survey that hits your database tables, but then also publish your own registered view layer based on the SQL query of your own devising.

More work, but you can get the more exact thing you need.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JoshB123
New Contributor III

My initial thought was to use Arcgis Server in our SQL Server to do the backend database management, but im out of my depth knowing if this is a good solution.

When you say "hits database tables" do you mean an Enterprise GeoDatabase within a SQL engine?

Thanks!

0 Kudos