Counts and Amounts (color) with your own data

Jump to solution
07-08-2021 02:32 PM
Labels (3)
SpartanburgLibraries
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a Counts and Amounts (color) map using data we have collected by zip code in ArcGIS Online.  I would like to have the zip codes shaded based on the number of Adult Summer Reading cards that were completed by each area. However, when I've tried to upload the .csv file of the data (attached) it puts a single point on the map for each zip code.

How do I tell ArcGIS to use the shape of the zip code boundaries for the data I'm trying to use instead of displaying the data as points so viewers can easily and quickly look at the map and see what areas we need to increase our outreach in or where we were successful?

SpartanburgLibraries_2-1625779640103.png

Any ideas, links to similar issues/solutions, or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your data is currently in point form, correct? You'll need to join your point data to the ZIP polygons. That will "bake in" the attributes to the polygons. You can do a spatial join, which creates a new feature class. If you own both layers, you can do an attribute-based join and keep the results as a hosted view layer which will stay up-to-date as the source layers change.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your data is currently in point form, correct? You'll need to join your point data to the ZIP polygons. That will "bake in" the attributes to the polygons. You can do a spatial join, which creates a new feature class. If you own both layers, you can do an attribute-based join and keep the results as a hosted view layer which will stay up-to-date as the source layers change.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
CHRISTUSStrategy
New Contributor

I am trying to do something similar and am having a hard time getting it to work. Can you help?

0 Kudos
SpartanburgLibraries
New Contributor

@jcarlson - Thanks so much!  This solved my problem and I never would have found it on my own!  Real MVP.