Correcting Mistakes on Online Basemaps

12-15-2011 11:49 PM
AnttiVeijalainen
New Contributor II
Hi,

Is there any process or procedure how obvious mistakes on ArcGIS Online basemaps could be corrected? Through time I've noticed a whole bunch of errors merely on Finland's area on several maps, mostly concerning incorrect names.

For example, someone at Esri Inc. to whom one could report mistakes and wanted corrections?
Tags (2)
27 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
For three of our basemaps, you can report feedback directly on some maps we have that allow you to add notes to them.

Street map feedback map

Topographic feedback map

Imagery feedback map

If it's not about the above basemaps, just post it here and it will get to the right people. Note that updates to data can take some time to get incorporated into the basemaps. In some cases, the data needs to get back to a data provider and they need to make the change. Then, when we get updated data, we update our basemaps.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
DouglasSmith4
New Contributor

These directions seem to be for Desktop and not Pro. I cannot figure out how to leave feedback on ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
jessemaps
Occasional Contributor

Is there a place we can submit errors specifically with the routing service such as height restrictions or one-way streets?

0 Kudos
AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

This is good but seems like an awful lot of double, triple, quadruple+ handling as groups/custodians write down details to post elsewhere which are then copied back to providers, then eventually corrected.

Has there been any thought given to an OpenStreetMap-like system where the geometry and attributes are submitted directly, or even *shock, horror* validating basemap features against OSM itself? 

Yes I realise that an open crowdsourced system is not the same as authoritative data, but could be used to test veracity/currency to give a confidence rating.

maratb
by
New Contributor

Russian translation of a city Shymkent (ref: Shymkent Qalasy, Ongtüstik Qazaqstan) is incorrect. Currently reads "Чемкент", should be "Шымкент".

Please correct.

0 Kudos
JoshuaSturgill
New Contributor

On the World Street Map in Annapolis Maryland, the label for Germantown Elementary School is over the wrong building (screenshot attached hopefully).  The building in the lower left hand side of that parcel is Germantown Elementary (200 Windell Ave).  Where the current label is should be labelled "The Phoenix Academy".

image (1).png

0 Kudos
MarkTullius
New Contributor II
There is an error in the Nat Geo Basemap in the Oklahoma City area.  It shows two locations for Tinker Air Force Base.  One is in the correct position and the incorrect one is shown just above and to the left of Will Rogers Airport.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks, I'll pass this along.

Mike
0 Kudos
NeilGunter
New Contributor II
Good Day,

I stumbled across this thread and remembered some errors that I had found on basemaps.  I live and work in Virginia, USA and noticed that the "Terrain with Labels" basemap shows incorrect labels for the Cities in Virginia. In Virginia, Cities are completely independent from counties. In the basemap, the Cities have the word "County" tacked onto their name.  For instance, we have the City of Petersburg and on the map it's labeled as "Petersburg County." Another example is Virginia's capitol city, the City of Richmond; it's labeled as "Richmond City County." 

To add to the confusion, we also have a number of cities that share the same name as counties, some of these are located within the county others are not.  And, if that doesnt' counfuse you, we have two counties with "City" in their name: James City County and Charles City County.
0 Kudos