Select to view content in your preferred language

Clip

07-25-2024 07:53 PM
Mdejesus_10
New Contributor

Hi, I am new to Geospatial mapping.

I have two datasets with 2 different projections. But they do align when I am working with them.

WGS 1984_51N and Web Mercator (auxiliary)

I want to clip the data (Web Mercator) into the shape of the shapefile (WGS 1984). But I am encountering issues. 

Could someone help me. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lee_Butler
New Contributor III

What issues are you encountering? Have you tried using the Project geoprocessing tool to reproject the data into the same coordinate system before running the clip? 

0 Kudos
Mdejesus_10
New Contributor

Well, I have a shapefile in WGS84 but the feature I am clipping is in Web Mercator. Even though they do have different projections they do align with each other on my layer. When clipping it, there are still multiple errors (Error 9999, table was not found, invalid topology, and such ). I also have tried using the same projection even though in my map they don't align (like miles away from each other) but there is still an error. 

0 Kudos
ShivaniPathak
Esri Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, the map inherits the projection of the first dataset added to the map. If both datasets cover the same area, they should overlap on the map. However, if the datasets are in different projections, their coordinates will not align properly. To ensure proper alignment, you can reproject the dataset in WGS84 to Web Mercator. Then, add both layers to a new map and verify if they overlap correctly. Try running the Clip tool again.

0 Kudos
ShivaniPathak
Esri Contributor

To clip one dataset to the extent of another, both datasets must be in the same projection. If your data is in vector format, you can use the Project geoprocessing tool. For raster (image) data, you can use the Project Raster tool. 

0 Kudos
Mdejesus_10
New Contributor

The datasets were LULC and a basin, so they already had projections when I added the data. If I want them to overlap, they have different projections and extent. But when I try them to be on the same projection, they are miles away. 

0 Kudos
ShivaniPathak
Esri Contributor

You can try reprojecting both the datasets to a third projection i.e. GCS WGS1984 (code: 4326).

ShivaniPathak_0-1721986131122.png

Also add both the projected outputs to a new map to check whether this fixes the issue.

0 Kudos