Changing ownership best practices?

09-16-2019 12:32 PM
deleted-user-jxpbpbjlZInj
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I'm currently the administrator of my organization's ArcGIS Online Account (and luckily, not the only one!) Over the years, we have built applications that integrate WebApps, Collector, S123 etc... Some of these are very sensitive to changes in folder structure.

I want my current organization to be able to delete my account and reuse it for another employee. Doing so will require us to change all of the ownership of items in my folder(s) to another account and we're really worried about breaking existing workflows/apps. Has anyone else have experience in a change of ownership of this extent? Did you break apps? If you did, how did you fix them and what would you do different next time?

Does ESRI have a "best practices" to follow for this kind of situation?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Sunny,

According to our documentation, you can use Change Owner to transfer existing items from one account to another or adjust group ownership. The items remain in the same organization, which means all references and links between layers, maps, and apps are preserved, and everything continues to work as expected. Group membership can also be adjusted.

When migrating accounts with a lot of folders or groups, you can also use ArcGIS API for Python to expedite and maintain the folder structure in My Content. Download the sample script.

Hope this helps!

Marisa