Cant save online feature layer.

12-12-2021 04:33 PM
JoshuaBruni
New Contributor II

I have uploaded a new feature layer to Agol to add to a new map. After I add the layer to my map I am unable to save the map as it states I am missing parameters "numThumbs" which does not exist on this layer on map. Is there somewhere I cannot find where this "numThumbs" exists?

2021-12-13 09_53_05-Zone Changes and 4 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.jpg

0 Kudos
16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JoshuaBruni did you publish this feature layer from ArcGIS Pro? If you add a thumbnail image from the item details page of the hosted feature layer does that resolve the issue?

Thanks,

-Peter 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBruni
New Contributor II

Hey Peter, 
I have just changed the thumbnail and there has been no change. It is a feature layer from ArcGis Pro. i have uploaded many others in the past and had no errors. 

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi @JoshuaBruni I have not seen this error before when saving a map but it would be helpful to take a closer look at your data. I have a few question to understand the environment of this issue better:

1. Can you create a map with the same layer in Classic Map Viewer?
  2. If your layer/map is shared publicly, do you mind sharing the URL/item ids?
  3. Is your layer time enabled? If so, can you try disabling it (at least temporarily) and see if you can save your web map?

Thanks! 

MJ

JoshuaBruni
New Contributor II

Hey MJ, 

With your tip it was able to be saved using map viewer classic. Which is weird due to it being both the same map and layer used just  in the classic viewer it saved. 

i am now able to continue to edit the layers in the new map viewer so it seems as though that error is only in the new viewer

Josh 

Deastman
New Contributor II

Hey @MJBiazar - I had the same issue. Saving in Classic seemed to fix it. Tried removing layers and turnign off time etc to no avail...

Here's the webmap if you want to take a look:

https://esriaudefence.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=74848de4af2843bb80c1944cbd10295a

0 Kudos
Deastman
New Contributor II

...and then I made some edits to the map and the problem has come up again. I think the only change was adding some features to a layer already in the map.

0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User ,

I am experienced the same issue, only in the New Map Viewer.

In Map Viewer with an existing map it gives the error:

• when I add an other hosted feature layer, I could save it;
  • but when I renamed this layer I got the error again ;
  • adding again a hosted feature layer, I can save again.
  • trying to save it again without changing, it gives the error again.

Additional, workaround:

• just adding and new hosted feature layer:
    • Add > choose layer > (+) and than remove it (-) 
    • save map

Doing the steps above in a new map, I can keep saving this map.

(no attachments or time enabled)

1. published from ArcGIS Pro as a 'group layer' to have the layers as one hosted feature layer:
    1. Stefan_Thorn_2-1639729268905.png

2. Added the layers to an existing map and add them to a group:
    1. Stefan_Thorn_1-1639729137817.png

Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Additional,

doing the add/remove trick to be able to save the map is also messing up the order of the layers. I noticed that all my (group) layers are in reversed order.

Doing add/remove again will put the layers in the right order again.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Deastman & @Stefan_Thorn just revisiting this now. It seems like there is indeed a bug somewhere in here but I still haven't been able to reproduce it. Here's what I just tried:

1. Publish web map from ArcGIS Pro 2.9 (to handle group layer in ArcGIS Pro)
  2. Open feature layer in Map Viewer - doesn't add in in group layer format. 
  3. Add layers to a group layer in Map Viewer and save. 
  4. Modify one of the layer names within the group layer and save. 

This works as expected for me. 

I think I'm probably just missing something in the workflow - can you list out the exact steps that you've taken to consistently reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos