Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't use a public account to sign in

Jump to solution
11-10-2023 07:40 AM
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

I purchased the GIS professional license today through my organization, created a new public account in ArcGIS Online, and had my organization administrator to send me an invite to join the organization. I received an email inviting me to join "My ESRI", but after joining, and signing in to mobile map maker and to Survey 123 I'm getting an error message stating I can't use a public account to sign in. Any ideas? Same issue when logging into ArcGIS Pro.

ArcGIS Error.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

The reason it was showing a public account was because I needed to go into My ESRI and under the licenses / ArcGIS Online I needed to activate the license. I then had to have ESRI generate a link where I could convert my public account into an organizational account. I did this all via the chat support. I'm now in and have no issues. 

Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS user accounts are free to make. These let you sign in and access some parts of the platform - community forums and My Esri. MyEsri.com lets you download software, contact support, and get some authorization/licence files for certain products. 

You need an Organizational account. these are user accounts created or invited to ArcGIS Online. Then you can be assigned a Pro licence by your ArcGIS Online administrator.

Alternatively you can download ArcGIS Pro through My Esri and apply single-use licencing. You will not need to sign in to access it.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/named-user-licenses.htm

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/single-use-licenses.htm

ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

The reason it was showing a public account was because I needed to go into My ESRI and under the licenses / ArcGIS Online I needed to activate the license. I then had to have ESRI generate a link where I could convert my public account into an organizational account. I did this all via the chat support. I'm now in and have no issues. 

Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos