Can't upload zipped shapefile to a web map as a layer

01-19-2021 08:33 AM
Rossnagle17
New Contributor

I'm trying to create a web map to then share for a course I'm taking. I created the content in ArcMap 10.7.1 and used a conversion tool to turn the layers into shapefiles. I've tried zipping the shapefiles with one layer per zip, each one is less than 1000 records in the attribute table, and each zip is less than 10mb, but it still says the file is too big to upload. As far as I can tell my zip file satisfies all the requirements to be uploaded to a web map on AGOL, I've even run the fix geometry tool, so I have no idea why it won't work.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

From what you describe, it seems like you are below the feature count and size limits for adding a zipped shapefile directly to a web map. You might want to double check that to make sure. If you are, then I would think about the "conversion tools" you used. You can always add the shapefile to ArcMap again and try saving as a different shapefile to see if that solves the issue.

A better way to publish shapefiles for use outside of a single web map is to publish it as a hosted feature layer, but you will need publisher privileges. This support topic covers the details: 

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011508

0 Kudos
Rossnagle17
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for your reply! The attribute table has 22 rows and the zipped file is 3.13mb, so definitely under the limits there. The conversion tool I used was the "feature class to shapefile" tool, as I was working in a geodatabase while getting my layers ready, everything seems to be fine there. I tried your suggestion of re-saving it as a new shapefile and rezipping it, but I get the same error message when trying to load it in AGOL. Unfortunately publishing it as a hosted feature layer is not an option, as I need to share a link to a web map to pass my course assessment.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Once you publish the shapefile as a hosted feature layer you can add it to any web map, then share a link to the map to pass your course assignment. Try adding the shapefile without publishing it (uncheck the publish checkbox), share the shapefile item publicly, and reply with a link to your item and I will have a quick look...

0 Kudos