Can't sign in to ArcGIS Online from desktop

06-02-2015 09:56 AM
RhondaHouser
New Contributor II

I can't sign in to ArcGIS Online from Desktop 10.3, though I can sign in directly online. The error is: 'an error has occured. Check you network connection and try again.'

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rhonda,

You might like to see if you can connect to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap with the firewall disabled.

Think Location
0 Kudos
RhondaHouser
New Contributor II

Thanks. I added ArcGIS and ArcGIS Admin. to the list of programs to allow through the firewall and this did not help. I also deleted a user folder in the registry per another forum but this didn't change things. Very strange.

0 Kudos
AdamMarinelli
Occasional Contributor

When you open ArcMap or ArcCatalog the ArcGIS Connection Properties tool begins running in the notifications area of your taskbar.  You can also find it here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\ArcGISConnection.exe

Have you tried running the Connection Test through this utility (right-click taskbar icon > Run Connection Test)?  Maybe it will provide more information as to why your machine cannot connect.

0 Kudos
RhondaHouser
New Contributor II

Thank you. I realized I had already done this through task manager. Network latency test- undetermined, network route test- failed, others passed.

0 Kudos
AdamMarinelli
Occasional Contributor

I am able to connect without issue and my results are:

Network Latency Test - Undetermined

Latency test timed out.

Network Route Test - Undetermined

Network route test timed out at node 35.

ArcGIS periodically polls this address for its connection to ArcGIS Online - you can see this in Fiddler.  Do you have any trouble navigating to: http://www.arcgis.com/arcgisuris.xml​?​

0 Kudos
AhjungKim4
Occasional Contributor II

I've tried other solutions such as deleting registry for AGOL, and also adding AGOL domains to Internet Explorer's trusted sites. None of this was a reliable solution as they only worked at times.

I've tried connecting to AGOL via https and this has been consistently working for me.

AndrewNichols
New Contributor

Ahjung Kim's solution worked for me. I was having the same issue as the OP

0 Kudos
PaulPanehal
New Contributor III

I was having an issue with this as well, and your solution proved to be the solution. My guess is this is simply due to the change in HTML protocol (HTML 5), and the general migration to that protocol by virtually all current websites. ArcMap, unfortunately, is still routed to the old domain name.

0 Kudos