Can't save maxRecordCountFactor tileMaxRecordCount standardMaxRecordCount

Jump to solution
02-05-2018 09:46 PM
GISAdmin35
New Contributor II

First: as found in other posts, I have changed the posted lastEditDate to a non-numeric (i.e. not epoch) value as discussed here https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2014/10/19/updating-hosted-feature-services-in-arcgis-online/

Example, set an illegal value: "lastEditDate" : ""

Synopsis:

I am trying to increase the values for the standardMaxRecordCount and tileMaxRecordCount settings for ArcGIS Online FeatureServer Layer's (the version in the ArcGIS Online rest html admin interface top right hand corner of screen is said to be 10.5.1.445). These don't save despite reporting success and this lack of support is stated by Esri so I am not surpised, see Error: Layer did not draw completely because there are too many features to display 

However, in the article above a workaround is discussed to increase the maxRecordCountFactor value from the default of 1 and this also DOES NOT SAVE EITHER (despite reporting success).

The only change I can make that does save is the maxRecordCount, so I can save something but nothing that will increase the number of records returned when a WebMap (query) is requesting a feature tile layer data.

There seems to be no way of increasing the number of feature tile requests limits and there appears to be no way of configuring a WebMap  layer so that it does not use feature tile requests.

I believe I am out of options, however this is quite disturbing if there is no way to increase these limits using ArcGIS Online as there is no way to fix this in within the WebMap, Service or Layer.

Please do not suggest a tiled/cached map service. The only solution I can find is to switch away from ArcGIS Online and back to dynamic map services.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Generally, we don't recommend increasing the max record count for hosted feature services. The Javascript API for ArcGIS is constructed to send multiple requests to feature layers based on virtual tiles as you mentioned above , which results in many requests being sent to the feature layer. Increasing this value can result in a lot of data being present in the browser and depending on the amount of data can result in poor web map performance. 

This blog outlines some technical details about how these requests are sent:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2017/10/17/so-you-want-to-display...  

Can you share more about the dataset that you are trying to display and the issues you are encountering? Are you consuming this data in ArcGIS Online or another app like Collector for ArcGIS?

Either way, you can increase this value (again, not recommended) by only including the maxrecord count JSON in the update definition call.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Generally, we don't recommend increasing the max record count for hosted feature services. The Javascript API for ArcGIS is constructed to send multiple requests to feature layers based on virtual tiles as you mentioned above , which results in many requests being sent to the feature layer. Increasing this value can result in a lot of data being present in the browser and depending on the amount of data can result in poor web map performance. 

This blog outlines some technical details about how these requests are sent:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2017/10/17/so-you-want-to-display...  

Can you share more about the dataset that you are trying to display and the issues you are encountering? Are you consuming this data in ArcGIS Online or another app like Collector for ArcGIS?

Either way, you can increase this value (again, not recommended) by only including the maxrecord count JSON in the update definition call.

-Kelly

GISAdmin35
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly,

Thanks the solution. It did save so long as the only json key/value was the maxRecordCountFactor.  Consequently, the following worked.

{ "maxRecordCountFactor" : 2 }

For the record and information for others:

• WebMap's do not allow feature tile requests to be disabled - this is not a fix for ArcGIS Online clients.
  • ArcGIS Online does not support dynamic map services and cached services are not the same - this is not a fix in MANY cases.

The above was the only workable solution.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

0 Kudos