Can't publish service to ArcGIS Online

08-02-2012 11:51 AM
AimeiChen
Occasional Contributor
Hi, there
I tried to publish map service with one feature class to ArcGIS online but failed. The error message says "packaging succeeded, but publishing failed." Failed to execute (uploadServiceDefinition). Can someone help me if you have experience on this.

Thanks,
Amy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
65 Replies
JoseReyes3
New Contributor

THANK YOU!!! GRACIAS!!! MERCI!!!

By just simply adding a new connection using HTTPS instead of HTTP did the trick. 

Our issue was only happening when running ArcMAP in Citrix.

JReyes

0 Kudos
LauraGiboo
New Contributor III

To summarize what Savannaha explained, you want the three connections in your Manage Portal Connections.

http://www.arcgis.com

https://www.arcgis.com

https://(your organization portal).arcgis.com

0 Kudos
BarbaraCarrigan
New Contributor

I have a subscription for AGOL for Organizations.  Usually, I don't have too much trouble updating a feature service, but I have to delete, then create the service all over again.  I have never successfully overwritten a feature service.  I'm trying to update a feature service used in many maps, but now I have not been successful. The Results window shows a generic 999999 error.  The original feature service was created in ArcMap (10.1), from a polygon feature class.  When deleting and attempting to upload from ArcMap failed, I tried uploading a shapefile.  The service definition uploads, but it can't be published because the "feature service already exists".  But the feature service has been deleted and it doesn't show up in my Contents and it doesn't show up in my services folder.  Any idea how I can delete this ghostly feature service?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Barbara, this isn't necessarily  a solution for finding the "ghostly feature service", but if you do have to create a new service and just need to update the URL in your maps, check out ArcGIS Online Assistant    Just log in with your user/pass...leave the default location, the log in should bring you to your Org account.  There are several tasks you can perform under "I want to..."   

Until you find a solution to your ghost service problem, this might be a work around.  This is a Esri/ago-assistant · GitHub    project....I'm not involved, but have used the app successfully in the past.  But, I would recommend using the git hub page so you know more about it.

0 Kudos
HarshalGharat
New Contributor III

Hi Barbara,

I am too facing the same problem. Did you find a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
EvaDienske
New Contributor II

I had the same problem with ArcMap 10.2.2 just now - sometimes the Fiddler option worked, but none of the other suggestions above helped.

I finally managed to upload the service from within ArcGIS Online: I first staged the service with ArcMap, then logged into AGOL (in browser), go to My Content, choose Add Item and select the saved service definition. You can select to publish the SD as a service immediately. This worked.

0 Kudos
JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

After a bit more experience with publishing services, I'm seeing what appears to be inconsistencies from day to day, even using the same database and mxd. Sometimes I get a quick, clean publish, but other times I have to resort to a workaround. And it doesn't seem to be related to the number of features or the size of the service.

At this point, I suspect that my problems, anyway, are due to variations in our network speeds or changes that IT is continually making to firewalls, etc. Overall high internet traffic, or something happening on the Esri/Amazon side may be a factor sometimes, too.  So frustrating when results are inconsistent.

0 Kudos
JenniLang
New Contributor III

I have also intermittently experience the same problem. Sometimes I can publish no problems other times I get the "Failed to execute (uploadServiceDefinition)" message. The only work  around that I have found that works for me is closing down ArcMap and reopening and then republish. Most of the time I can republish after the first reopening of ArcMap. I admit this is an annoying work around.

However, I agree with Jill I also suspect the issues are due to variations in network speeds etc.

0 Kudos
FrédéricMINELLI1
New Contributor

I have the same problem to publish a feature service. If you have XTools pro 16.0 on your computer, you must uninstall this version, because with the 16.0 it is impossible tu publish something (I don't know why) !

JuliaNoran1
New Contributor II

I spent HOURS troubleshooting this issue, and uninstalling XTools Pro 16.0 fixed it. I NEVER would have figured that out without your comment. Thank so much!