Can't publish service to ArcGIS Online

08-02-2012 11:51 AM
AimeiChen
Occasional Contributor
Hi, there
I tried to publish map service with one feature class to ArcGIS online but failed. The error message says "packaging succeeded, but publishing failed." Failed to execute (uploadServiceDefinition). Can someone help me if you have experience on this.

Thanks,
Amy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
65 Replies
AlastairClinkscale
New Contributor III
Hi Aaastair,

Do you see a Service Definition in your My Contents Online?
Can you share the Service Definition with me?
Can you tell me when you tried to publish, and what your username is?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delayed reply. No, I don't see a Service Definition file appearing in My Contents.

The error message I get from Desktop 10.2 includes "Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).", so does that indicate it, for some reason, cannot upload Service Definition file to My Content in AGOL?

During the Publish process, I kept an eye on the folder C:\Users\alclink\AppData\Local\ESRI\Desktop10.2\Staging\My Hosted Services\Libaries.sd on my pc and it does seem to create a bunch of stuff in there, including what looks like a file geodatabase or something similar, so it seems to be getting so far through the process before something trips it up.

I have had contact directly from ESRI UK about this and they have suggested turning off the antivirus software on my PC (our organisation's policy prevents me from doing this).
0 Kudos
ThomasIsraelsen
New Contributor III
You can either share the data public and post or message me the Url to it, or if you want to keep it secured you could create a group to share the Service Definition to and invite me to it. (andrewstauffer)

It will be best to have the data so we can troubleshoot it internally.

Thank you,
Andrew

OK. I will ask the client if we can share the data with just you. Shouldn't be a problem.
0 Kudos
KC
by
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

Just wanted to chime in that I'm also getting the "Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition)" error and seeing similar to what others have mentioned in their posts above.  I'm following this "Publish a feature service from ArcGIS for Desktop" tutorial.  I was able to publish the tiled map service in the earlier tutorial fine.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Thomas: Thank you, please message me the details.
@Kirstin: What version of Desktop are you using?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
KC
by
Occasional Contributor
@Kirstin: What version of Desktop are you using?

I'm using 10.2.1
0 Kudos
KimberleyReed
New Contributor II
Hi, have any of you been able to find a solution? I am also getting the 'Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition)' error when following the Publish a Feature Service from ArcGIS for Desktop tutorial.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
There are a few different issues it could be depending on a few situations.

1. If using 10.2+ you will need to be logged into ArcGIS Online from ArcMap while publishing. If you are running a script, please review this blog post to update your script.

2. If you are publishing with an option to overwrite, it can fail if the service is in a folder. Consider moving the service to the root level instead of in a folder until this is fixed.

3. There can be an issue publishing with the option to overwrite if the original Service Definition as been removed. Once you publish, please consider keeping this file until this is fixed.

4. At 10.2 there was an issue where publishing would fail every other time, this was fixed in 10.2.1. If you have not upgraded to 10.2.1, please try to publish a second time.

I hope this helps and we will be looking to correct  these issues in future releases of ArcGIS Desktop and Online.

Thank you,
Andrew
0 Kudos
CynthiaPeña
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar issue, when publishing an error appears, the Stage service geoprocess obtains a result , but Upload service geoprocess doesn't. I can't publish feature services from arcmap to ArcGIS Online.

However, I noticed that the 'Status' of the ArcGIS Online Organization is SUSPENDED.

Could you please clarify me if that is reason why I can't publish my services to ArcGIS Online?

Thank you  Andrew Stauffer​,

Cynthia

0 Kudos
ThomasIsraelsen
New Contributor III
@Andrew

1:
I'm using 10.2 and I am publishing from ArcMap while logged in. Not using any scripts.

2 and 3:
I am always creating new services, never overwriting. I always use root.

4:
I will try twice publishing two times with 10.2

Thomas
0 Kudos
KimberleyReed
New Contributor II
Thanks Andrew.
We have now been able to publish services to ArcGIS Online using 10.2. We needed to change the default Internet Explorer settings to enable 'Use a proxy server for your LAN'.
0 Kudos