can't pop-up a PDF file

Jump to solution
08-30-2012 06:24 AM
CharlesCao
New Contributor
There is a hyperlink function in ArcMap or Web ADF, and I saw there is also a pop-up in AGOL.

I have two fields, one is PDF file name(for example 1.pdf), the other is the path and name (for example c:\temp\1.pdf). I need to open the PDF files with a link or URL by using the pop-up configuration, how can I do for it?

What kind of saving format for the URL or link? Please give me a example. The saving format of link I used in database when web mapping application developing is the relative pathname, for example "temp/1.pdf", actually the physical path is "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\web_mapping\temp\1.pdf".

Thanks a lot.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, the PDF files need to be accessible from the web, on a website, not on your local machine.

With the URL to the PDF as an attribute value of a 'PDF_Field' column, displaying this in the popup will automatically convert it to a link that says "More Info"

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
danielsmith1
New Contributor
To set a  hyperlink for a feature, click on that feature with the Identify tool. Right-click the feature name in the Identify dialog box and choose Add hyperlink from the context menu. Specify the desired type of hyperlink target. To hyperlink to a Web page, click Link to a URL and type the URL. To link to a PDF, Microsoft Word, or other document, click Link to a Document and type a path to the document or browse to its location. For dynamic hyperlinks, relative paths are supported for map layers but not for .lyr files. Access dynamic hyperlinks by clicking the feature with the Identify tool, right-clicking to access the context menu, and choosing Hyperlinks.

With ArcGIS 9.3, a parameter can be set to control how a hyperlinked document is opened by specifying the page that will be opened. For example, c:\temp\PopulationData.pdf ?/A "Page=5=OpenActions" would open the PopulationData.pdf document at page 5. ArcGIS uses a question mark (?) as a special delimiter to separate the file path from the parameter. In this case, c: \Program Files\Adobe Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.3exe. is the location of the software, /A "Page=5=OpenActions" is the open parameter, and c:\temp\PopulationData.pdf is the location of the file.
0 Kudos
CharlesCao
New Contributor
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your so detail information and operation, appreciate it!

Now I am working ArcGIS Online (the 30 days trail version), and I want to open PDF files as convinient as ArcMAP.

In ArcGIS Online, if clicking the right arrow behind the feature name of web map and choosing Configure Pop-up from the context menu, thers are some pop-up configurations in Pop-up Properties, such as Pop-upTtitle, Pop-up Contents and Pop-up Media. But it doesn't work for PDF link and browering, so I wanna to know how to set up these configuration?

or it is still not supported by ArcGIS Online?

Thanks again.

Charles

To set a  hyperlink for a feature, click on that feature with the Identify tool. Right-click the feature name in the Identify dialog box and choose Add hyperlink from the context menu. Specify the desired type of hyperlink target. To hyperlink to a Web page, click Link to a URL and type the URL. To link to a PDF, Microsoft Word, or other document, click Link to a Document and type a path to the document or browse to its location. For dynamic hyperlinks, relative paths are supported for map layers but not for .lyr files. Access dynamic hyperlinks by clicking the feature with the Identify tool, right-clicking to access the context menu, and choosing Hyperlinks.

With ArcGIS 9.3, a parameter can be set to control how a hyperlinked document is opened by specifying the page that will be opened. For example, c:\temp\PopulationData.pdf ?/A "Page=5=OpenActions" would open the PopulationData.pdf document at page 5. ArcGIS uses a question mark (?) as a special delimiter to separate the file path from the parameter. In this case, c: \Program Files\Adobe Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.3exe. is the location of the software, /A "Page=5=OpenActions" is the open parameter, and c:\temp\PopulationData.pdf is the location of the file.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Your PDF needs to be accessible on the web via a URL (http://somewhere.com/abc.pdf). Any attribute field that is a URL will display in the attribute list as a link that can be clicked. For example, given a field named PDF_Field, it might have values as shown below.

PDF_Field
http://somewhere.com/abc.pdf
http://somewhere.com/def.pdf

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CharlesCao
New Contributor
Your PDF needs to be accessible on the web via a URL (http://somewhere.com/abc.pdf). Any attribute field that is a URL will display in the attribute list as a link that can be clicked. For example, given a field named PDF_Field, it might have values as shown below.

PDF_Field
http://somewhere.com/abc.pdf
http://somewhere.com/def.pdf

Thanks,

Mike

Thank you very much, Mike.

But the PDF files are located to the local server (for example C:\temp\1.pdf), and the saving path and file name are saved into some specif field, such as PDF_Field. should I move these PDF files under some website(for example:C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\web_mapping\temp\1.pdf), and set the value of PDF_Field as http://IP address of server/web_mapping/temp/1.pdf, is it correct?

Additional, how about LINK in Pop-up configuration? How to set up it although it's optional setting, and what's the exact value I should save in the field?

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, the PDF files need to be accessible from the web, on a website, not on your local machine.

With the URL to the PDF as an attribute value of a 'PDF_Field' column, displaying this in the popup will automatically convert it to a link that says "More Info"

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SamPociask
New Contributor II

Is there a way to change what "More Info" to say something else?

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

You can..

• Open your web map in AGOL
  • Click the drop-down arrow next to the layer
  • "Configure Pop-up"
  • Set Display to "A custom attribute display"
  • "CONFIGURE"
  • Then set what text and links you want to appear in the Custom Attribute Display window
  • "OK"
  • "SAVE POP-UP"
0 Kudos
CharlesCao
New Contributor

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah, it works. Thanks Mike.

Charles
0 Kudos
ChrisGray
New Contributor

Thanks,

Mike

isn't feature attachments an option now? im asking cause i can't seem to enable attachments (no option available) for an editable layer in my web map.
0 Kudos