Can Screen Captures be Published Commercially

02-28-2011 07:21 AM
TJLensing1
New Contributor
Hello.  Concerning the recent announcement: ArcGIS Online Basemaps Freely Available.  The announcement implies that a commercial, for-profit organization can use these interactive maps if they are hosted by Esri, correct?  What if the organization only needs a still image of a particular region of a map at a particular zoom level - can they use a screen capture and publish the image on their website?  Would there be any attribution required?  For example, see the attached.

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SarahOsborne
Esri Contributor
The following URL's will give you some information on using static maps. 

Using static maps in reports
Displaying copyrights

Your question isn't answered directly, but yes, you can include a static map on your website as long as you provide proper attribution.
0 Kudos
TJLensing1
New Contributor
Great!  Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
TJLensing1
New Contributor
Sarah, one more question.  How do we add a text box to the map?  I only see icons for pushpins and shapes etc.  And we're not allowed to add them on later via photoshop correct?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Just open your web map in ArcGIS Explorer Online to add text over the map (Explorer Online currently supports this, but no the map viewer in ArcGIS.com; we're working on it.) I don't know about whether you can add text over the image with photoshop; hopefully Sarah will reply.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TJLensing1
New Contributor
Thanks Mike, I actually just discovered that in my fiddling around.  Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
SarahOsborne
Esri Contributor
You can add graphics/text to a map, but you cannot obscure any logos or copyright text that might be on the map.
0 Kudos
TJLensing1
New Contributor
Even with Photoshop?
0 Kudos
TJLensing1
New Contributor
0 Kudos