Can I create a .mxd with arcgis online

Jump to solution
03-09-2017 02:21 PM
PaigeBaker
New Contributor

Trying to clarify if I will be able to create an .mxd map document and create a .pdf of that .mxd with ArcGIS online version? Or will it have to be the desktop version? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Trying to clarify if I will be able to create an .mxd map document and create a .pdf of that .mxd with ArcGIS online version? Or will it have to be the desktop version?

Short answer...no, AGOL can not make an mxd, only DEsktop since mxd is a Desktop file extension. However, there ar solutions for printing  PDF files from both.

for mxd, look through Exporting to PDF—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  or for automating, try arcpy.mapping module Tutorial: Basic web map printing and exporting using arcpy.mapping—Sharing geoprocessing workflows |... 

For online maps, you could use the Print widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS   And see if that does what you need.

if this does answer you question, it would be helpful to know what you goal is....online solution or is Desktop solution an option?  Are you ok with publishing the mxd to ArcGIS Server (if licensed) or ArcGIS Online?  There are workflow and help does for those scenarios too.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Online help has simple documentation on what you can create and use.  Have you had a chance to look at some of this material?

What you can add is a useful link

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paige,

> Trying to clarify if I will be able to create an .mxd map document and create a .pdf of that .mxd with ArcGIS online version? Or will it have to be the desktop version? 

The ability to generate a PDF file from an MXD map document is functionality available in the ArcGIS Publisher extension for ArcGIS Desktop. ArcGIS Online does NOT have this capability.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Short answer...no, AGOL can not make an mxd, only DEsktop since mxd is a Desktop file extension. However, there ar solutions for printing  PDF files from both.

for mxd, look through Exporting to PDF—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  or for automating, try arcpy.mapping module Tutorial: Basic web map printing and exporting using arcpy.mapping—Sharing geoprocessing workflows |... 

For online maps, you could use the Print widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS   And see if that does what you need.

if this does answer you question, it would be helpful to know what you goal is....online solution or is Desktop solution an option?  Are you ok with publishing the mxd to ArcGIS Server (if licensed) or ArcGIS Online?  There are workflow and help does for those scenarios too.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Noticed this thread https://community.esri.com/message/673302-re-usage-of-convertwebmaptomapdocument    this morning.  I have not tried so do not know if it is what you are looking for or if it will work, but this might give you some additional ideas to try.

0 Kudos