Can I control editing of an ArcGIS Online feature layer that was added from the web?

Jump to solution
03-15-2019 11:29 AM
AlexMetzler
New Contributor III

I have a published feature service through ArcGIS Server that I added to ArcGIS Online through the REST URL. The service allows for feature access (Query, Edit, Add, Update, Delete). It is shared in AGOL with our organization (and needs to be).

As of now, everybody that can view the feature layer can edit it. I want to be able to control who can edit and view the feature layer. I don't have the option to create a 'view', because it's not hosted on AGOL.

How can I restrict the organization from editing this feature service except for a few people?

My only thought right now is to publish a service with feature access for editing and one without.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Alex,

When using ArcGIS Server services, you will need to use ArcGIS Server security in order to determine who has access to your editable service or not. As mentioned, views are only supported with hosted layers, so you will need to publish an editable feature layer and a non editable layer (feature or map service) if you want some users to have editing capabilities and other not. 

If you want to control security through ArcGIS Online, you can register an ArcGIS Server service and store the server credentials (token security only) in ArcGIS Online. This way you can control which ArcGIS Online users can access your ArcGIS Server Service. Here is some information about how to register secured layers with ArcGIS Online.

ArcGIS Server web services—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Alex,

When using ArcGIS Server services, you will need to use ArcGIS Server security in order to determine who has access to your editable service or not. As mentioned, views are only supported with hosted layers, so you will need to publish an editable feature layer and a non editable layer (feature or map service) if you want some users to have editing capabilities and other not. 

If you want to control security through ArcGIS Online, you can register an ArcGIS Server service and store the server credentials (token security only) in ArcGIS Online. This way you can control which ArcGIS Online users can access your ArcGIS Server Service. Here is some information about how to register secured layers with ArcGIS Online.

ArcGIS Server web services—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

AlexMetzler
New Contributor III

Thank you Kelly! I did not know about the 'registering a service' option.

AlexMetzler
New Contributor III

Hey Kelly,

As I disabled 'Feature Access' on my service to restrict editing in AGOL, it broke my links to the layers. I switched them from the FeatureServer to MapServer URLs and it made me think... If a service has 'Feature Access' enabled, could I reference either the MapServer URL or the FeatureServer URL to control editing?

0 Kudos