Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I configure the Living Atlas's VIIRS Fire Activity layer to only show to a specific country?

04-18-2023 12:13 PM
Labels (1)
AndrewCastilloTBSL
Esri Contributor

I was looking for a global active fire layer and I found the Satellite (VIIRS) Thermal Hotspot and Fire Activity. Now when looking at its attribute table it doesn't appear to have a column for countries.

So, I'm asking does anyone know how to make the layer only show active fires in a specific country and hide everything else?

4 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can use a combination of group layers plus blending effects to visually filter the VIIRS hotspots for a country.

Below I've applied a filter for Thailand on the Living Atlas World Countries layer and placed it in a group layer above the VIIRS hotspots. Using Destination In blending, the hotspots are visually filtered in the map.

BernSzukalski_0-1681847196899.png

Here's a test map that you can reverse engineer the technique with.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=4fd469faaf3b4f54ad03d385a5d275fe

Step 1 - Add the VIIRS and World Countries layers to a group layer:

BernSzukalski_1-1681847276719.png

Step 2 - Filter for the desired country in the countries layer:

BernSzukalski_2-1681847315787.png

Step 3 - Then use  Destination In blending on the countries layer in Properties:

BernSzukalski_4-1681847491939.png

This is similar to the technique discussed in this blog article:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/local-focus/

in the country focus example.

PDodd
by
Occasional Contributor

To improve performance when panning or zooming outside of your Area-Of-Interest, Thailand in this case, you can add a filter to the VIIRS layer to restrict the number of features returned. The following will only return rows for the general extent of Thailand.

VIIRS_Filter_Thailand.gif

The Longitude and Latitude fields are indexed, so the query performance is good. Avoid using the "BETWEEN" clause though, as this is not cache-able and therefor will not stand up to viral traffic.

0 Kudos
AndrewCastilloTBSL
Esri Contributor

Thanks, that's awesome.

0 Kudos
AndrewCastilloTBSL
Esri Contributor

Thank you, I performed your instructions, and I was able to visually focus it on my specific country.

0 Kudos