Can custom basemaps be enabled for offline use

08-23-2021 11:05 PM
Labels (3)
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

In short, what I want to know is can custom basemaps be enabled for offline use? I've followed the guide in this blog post to create and share Custom Basemaps with my org, but I don't seem to be able to use them in a webmap and have that map enabled for offline use in Field Maps. 

Extra info: my custom basemaps either use the ESRI Terrain or ESRI Imagery basemaps with a Custom Vector Tile Package overlaid within the basemap group of the webmap share to the Custom Basemap Gallery group. The Vector Tile Package is enabled for offline use, as are the webmaps. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1629785059270.png

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1629785042516.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
4 Replies
ATFerguson
New Contributor II

I have the same question. Were you ever able to find a solution? 

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Been a while since experimenting with this!

We work around this by having our Vector Tile Package sideloaded to mobile devices and the webmap set to use the local vtpk when going offline in FIeld Maps Designer.

To be honest, I'd forgotten that I couldn't get this working (and just thought it did) but doing some quick tests now before replying shows that when trying to take a map offline with our custom basemap (ESRI Imagery + custom VTPK in the maps basemap group), it errors out on Field Maps. When changed to just the default Imagery basemap, it worked fine. So apparently no, it still doesn't work. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
ATFerguson
New Contributor II

Thanks for getting back and running those tests. I'll follow up here if I'm able to find a workaround.

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Please do!

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos