Bing Maps Server URL?

05-17-2010 07:56 AM
DavidFeinstein
New Contributor
Anyone know the server URL for the Bing Maps services?

I'd like to be able to access them through ArcCatalog instead of having to open a previously saved map and copy them over.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II
Unlike with ArcGIS Server services, there isn't a server that you can connect to in ArcCatalog to access the Bing services. The Bing services are accessed in ArcGIS Desktop using a set of read-only layer files that ESRI generates with the server URL information built into it, and this server information isn't exposed in the Source tab of these layers because you can't connect to it via ArcCatalog. You can find these layer files, along with a map document and a globe document that contain all three layer files, at this location: http://links.esri.com/en/Bing. These work in 9.3.1 and also in version 10 pre-release and the upcoming version 10 release.
0 Kudos
DavidFeinstein
New Contributor
Thanks for the information Rupert.

I've been using the read-only layer files that you mentioned for a while now.  I just find it so much easier to access the other ArcGIS online services through ArcCatalog and was hoping the Bing services would be available that way as well.

Just a small suggestion for if you guys decide to add that functionality in the future.
0 Kudos
KellyChan
New Contributor III
We need to punch some holes in our firewall for out bound connections to server.arcgisonline.com, preimum, etc.

What can we use for Bing maps in url filtering?
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II
Please contact ESRI Tech Support and let them know what you want to do.
0 Kudos