Base Maps not loading

02-10-2021 03:41 PM
CarlyConticchio
New Contributor

Hi all, 

I have seen that this question has been asked before, however, none of the responses seem to fix my problem.

Just a bit of background: I am new to ArcMaps. I access it via my graduate schools computer, it is not installed on my personal laptop but I can access it via my laptop (yes its confusing). Also, please note: I am totally tech inept, so please be clear when you respond.

Problem: The basemaps do NOT load. Even the selection thumbnails do not load. I tried clicking on when to see if something happens, but nope, nothing. I thought maybe it was my computer so I tried another one. Not working. Tried using a mobile hotspot instead of my wifi. Still not working. I am getting increasingly frustrated with this program. I really need to make some maps for my grad class. ANY help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit: I should also note it is ArcMaps 10.8. ALSO, and I think this is important, when I click a basemap it says it "was drawn incorrectly." Before this week, this has never happened.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have you signed in to arcgis online in arcmap, file -> sign in?

Have you tried in a new mxd (arcmap document)?

Which basemap services are you trying to use? i.e. a vector tile basemaps won't work in arcmap as far as I know.

Can you provide screenshots of the issue?

0 Kudos
CarlyConticchio
New Contributor

I don't sign into arc, it is already a program on the desktop I connect to via the school. 

If you mean trying to make a new map, yes I tried that. Even on existing maps I have made, the basemap originally chosen loads, but it I go to insert a new one nothing appears.

I just click data and basemaps. Nothing fancy.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, I have some experience with ArcMap.  What I mean is signing in to ArcGIS Online  AGOL (where I guess you're retrieving the basemap from) Signing in to ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS for Desktop applications—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

The basemaps that work on existing maps, they are web map services from AGOL rather than local tiles or mosaics?

Unfortunately the jpegs say virus scan in progress, I think it's a forum issue atm.

0 Kudos