Auto populate attributes in a layer using data entered in a related table

03-08-2022 04:15 PM
ACA
by
New Contributor II

I have a TREEINVENTORY layer connected to a related INSPECTION table, both are used in a FieldMaps map. When I enter information in the INSPECTION table in Field Maps, I would like to have some of the data that is entered automatically populate a few fields in the TREEINVENTORY layer. Is this possible and if so what are the steps.

Thanks

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It really depends on where you're trying to do this, and what you want it to look like.

If you mean that a literal field should have its values updated in one table based on values in the second, there's no way to do that "automatically", though you can get a Python script to run on a schedule that can accomplish close to the same thing.

But if it's acceptable to simply show that value, so in a popup or a dashboard, then Arcade can return those values and display them without needing a separate field in the main table.

Can you elaborate on the end goal here?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ACA
by
New Contributor II

My goal is to keep track of species, size (diameter) and health information over time in the INSPECTION table. The  TREEINVENTORY layer table would contain the most recent inspection data.

My initial thought was to enter this data in the form for the TREEINVENTORY layer, and then using the  inspection form automatically 'grab' and copy over some of the data to the INSPECTION table. 

Thanks