Select to view content in your preferred language

Are we moving away from hosting feature layers in AGOL?

Jump to solution
10-18-2022 11:24 AM
Labels (1)
drewcole232
New Contributor III

I attended a user conference recently and I may be remembering this wrong, but I believe I heard a speaker from ESRI say something along the lines of 'get out of the habit of storing your data in feature layers' during a workshop for ArcGIS Enterprise admin. 

Again, I have no idea if this is what I actually heard, but it's been on my mind for a while now and I figured I would ask the community. Our organization does not have an enterprise agreement, so it's probably not  relevant to us yet.  

Thank you

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

They probably meant you should consider other service types. Most GIS users tend to publish hosted feature layers are they allow for everything - queries, editing etc.. But they are heavier than some of the new service types that can pre-render in tiles (server-side resources) or take advantage of modern technology

e.g. Vector Tile layers:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/tile-layers.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8F68399EB47B48FF9EF4...

Hosted Feature Layers are still definitely useful. I've seen no indication that they will be on the way out. But spatial professionals have long been neglecting other service types such as Map Service which may be more appropriate in a number of circumstances...

Same with Hosted vs SDE/referenced. Saw this debate a lot a while ago but recently the discussion has resurfaced. Hosted layers don't mean SDEs/Server/Referenced are getting replaced. It means we as publishers have more options and in some scenarios one of the publishing methods will be much more suitable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would be very surprised if that were the case. If anything, Esri has been making strides to get hosted feature layers on par with more advanced enterprise geodatabase layers.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
drewcole232
New Contributor III

Thank you, Josh. I'm sure that I misheard or misinterpreted something that was said. 

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

They probably meant you should consider other service types. Most GIS users tend to publish hosted feature layers are they allow for everything - queries, editing etc.. But they are heavier than some of the new service types that can pre-render in tiles (server-side resources) or take advantage of modern technology

e.g. Vector Tile layers:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/tile-layers.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8F68399EB47B48FF9EF4...

Hosted Feature Layers are still definitely useful. I've seen no indication that they will be on the way out. But spatial professionals have long been neglecting other service types such as Map Service which may be more appropriate in a number of circumstances...

Same with Hosted vs SDE/referenced. Saw this debate a lot a while ago but recently the discussion has resurfaced. Hosted layers don't mean SDEs/Server/Referenced are getting replaced. It means we as publishers have more options and in some scenarios one of the publishing methods will be much more suitable.